Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > chainsaws for trail maintenance in Wilderness?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm 
Doing trail closures, signs, extra crew to post around the blast site is just part of the rig-a-ma-role. I had a blasters license a while back.... Just keeping up with changing state and federal regulations, getting re-certified every year, keeping up a haz-mat endorsement on your drivers license (therefore being subject to random pee testing). Then having a storage facility for the explosives and keeping IT licensed and inspected. Not worth it for just a few days of blasting per year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 4:52 pm 
Reminds me of a funny thing several years ago. I went to an Open House re the White Chuck bridge replacement at the Darrington RS. We were greeted by USFS menfolk holding plates of cookies. I asked, where are the wimmenfolk? "oh, they're getting thier blasting recerts today." smile.gif Then there was the giant rock that fell from a slope onto on a King County road - King County said it was a USFS rock and USFS said it was a King County road, so it was thier rock now. embarassedlaugh.gif It was there quite awhile til the USFS could get blasters on the project. I don't know if King County was billed for the work. The two agencies often work together

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm 
Hey, it was no big deal. And they got a good laugh when I told them I almost had to change my pants. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Pretty sure that's not protocol. Any blasting should require lookouts to close the trail a quarter mile each side of the project at the required stage of the set up. I can't imagine an agency blasting with no site warning or site closure. Flying stones, rock chips, etc. traveling at a pretty good clip can whack the sh## out of a hiker. The lawyers would have a field day.
Sounds like free lance Randle trail maintainers. There's a lot of locals who do their own trail maintenance on the motorized trails. Don't ask, Don't tell. I did a bit of it. I know of one very excellent timber faller who straps a chainsaw to his dirt bike on his first ride of the year to clear out the winter blowdown. I'd love to have him on a trail crew but he is in demand as a faller. There's a lot of talent in that valley when it comes to blowing things up, cutting things up, and getting into places. Without it, trails might not get opened --was up on a landing on the 23 road and a tired looking (not from there) guy rode up on his dirt bike and asked to borrow a saw. His was stuck in a tree across the Blue Lake trail. They didn't loan him a saw, one of the guys who also is a dirt bike rider hopped on the back of the bike packing a saw and off they went. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the talent is getting old and there will not be very many that can take their place. Now, loggers on a timber sale will get wildlife folks upset if they shoot rock in the winter. Apparently, it scares the elk too much that are wintering in the Cispus River area. Tribal rifle hunting season, which goes on at the same time apparently does not affect wintering elk. embarassedlaugh.gif I would think that blasting trails open might have to be timed so as not to disturb marbled murrelets, fawns, owls and other delicate critters. That might leave August and September as the only suitable months and fire shutdowns happen then. Welcome to the world of many, many rules. That's why stealth trail work gets things done in that part of the world. I used to threaten to get a stealth road grader, but it would have to never break down, because I do not know how to do repairs on graders. That was ruled out right away because graders are notorious for breaking down, usually when you have a berm in the middle of the road.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 8:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
Hey, it was no big deal. And they got a good laugh when I told them I almost had to change my pants. wink.gif
Mutual entertainment--always appreciated. I have heard tales in the Randle area of things getting exciting during the broadcast burns of the past. Loggers were rather careless at times with their dynamite and sometimes some of that would go off during the burning. Or, an old cache would be discovered and the State Patrol would go out and blow it up.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities