Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Townsend, or Olympic snowshoes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lightning_bug

Lightning_bug
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 11:12 pm 
Regardless of politics, this government shutdown thing really put a cramp in my plans to snowshoe at Hurricane Ridge. Even booked a nice room for my stay, and I refuse to let the park closure get between me and some snow! These are options I'm considering, but would love some feedback about the feasibility, *especially* with potential road closures/gates: - Mount Townsend - Blue mountain via Deer Park Rd - Mount Rose - open to any other suggestions! I don't mind some road walking (as many good snowshoes are essentially road walks), but am hoping to keep mileage below 15. There's quite a few prolific Oly trip reporters on this website, whose breadth of knowledge and experience is amazing. I'm hoping they might share some of that knowledge with me... Fingers crossed! Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostSun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 am 
Hi Lightning-bug! Sorry to hear your plans had to be changed, but good for you to look for plan B! Here are a couple of thoughts: Mt Townsend: The concern with Townsend would be if you could actually get to the trailhead. A trip report for the lower Ellinor trailhead from 3 days ago said it was barely accessible with a Jeep. That trailhead is at 2650'. The upper Townsend trailhead is at 3500'. Maybe search WTA and see if anyone has posted reports for that area on accessibility?? With the rain and higher snow levels maybe the road has melted off?? Mount Rose: You would most likely not need snowshoes. We broke a fresh trail up Rose last weekend and since that time not much new snow has fallen so probably just microspikes. The other hikes you mentioned we don't have any info on, but hope whatever you find is great!!

reststep

reststep
PostSun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 pm 
Here is a report by Abert for the Deer Ridge Trail to Blue Mountain on Thursday December 27. Scroll down to see the report Looks like it could be a fun hike.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir