Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ultralight tent research
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 am 
I'm starting to consider an ultra-light tent. I read the links from the recent "best tent list" on this forum, and didn't find any useful information. What I think I want is a 2p well under 5lbs, smaller than my REI $100 on sale tent (1/4 dome, 1/2 dome, I don't recall), no more difficult to setup, and just as rugged (or better). Summer and early fall, mostly to be used above treeline and on snow fields, glaciers. And I'd prefer not to have to drag along a footprint for use when on the "rotten rock" camp areas on the Cascade volcanoes. Is there such an item? Ideas, opinions, please? Thanks all.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostSun Dec 30, 2018 7:08 pm 
You'll easily meet your objective with today's lineup. Most are very good. Pick the weight and config you like and you'll probably be happy. No need for a footprint IMO. The floor get's the least wear. Tents are pretty reliable even with today's super light weight materials. I've had pole and zipper failures, but both are highly unlikely and were solvable with string, duct tape or safety pins. But never a floor failure or even significant wear on a 20 year old tent which never saw a footprint.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm 
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
A shade under 3 lbs. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tents/products/lunar-duo-explorer
Ah, that's a source I had forgotten about. Thanks. And actually, I'll guess many, of not all of the "good" sources I don't know about as this isn't a consideration in North Dakota - not much, if any, hiking there. And, Damian said: "No need for a footprint IMO. The floor get's the least wear. Tents are pretty reliable even with today's super light weight materials." Ok, that's something I wondered about, thanks again.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Dec 31, 2018 6:56 pm 
Quote:
and just as rugged (or better)
Lighter materials do have some durability issues... I've had a Six Moons Trekker for a couple of years and it's showing its age. Both poles poked holes through the fabric during high wind events. These were easy enough to patch, but the real solution would involve a more robust set of pole connectors and reinforced pole placements. I really like the tent, and will continue using it until it completely disintegrates, probably within a year or two. By contrast; my previous tent, a 3.5 lb roadster was used for 15 years without any major fails. Consider the silnylon. It sags like gangster pants when it gets wet. Cranking down on the tie-outs probably contributed to my punctures. The Gear General forum at backpackinglight is filled with interesting facts and opinions.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Dec 31, 2018 11:14 pm 
I put a hole in a modern silnylon tent floor. Small, cut root poking up that I missed when evaluating possible sites. Recommend a sheet of tyvek. I have a Big Agnes tent that meets your criteria, if silnylon works for you. It's about 4 pound for a 4 person. Luxuriously roomy even with gear inside. Sets up very quickly. Fine in wind, and it won't let rain in but the fabric stretches when wet. I think it was about $400. Mine is not the best tent on the market, but it's a good one. If I had it to do again I'd probably go with Cuban fiber for weight and wet.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 pm 
Second the BA. Lots of folks have them and never heard much bad. Hard to get used to the material which is light as cellophane and feels like it too. Seems like it ought to rip apart like a candy wrapper but it's space-age tough. Can't speak for the longevity, but the function to weight is righteous compared to a decade ago.

OwenT

OwenT
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am 
I pulled the trigger on the hyperlite mtn gear ultamid 2 early this summer because I found a great deal on the tent + floor insert on ebay. What I can say is I like it so far. I don't remember now what the pack weight is now exactly but including lines and stakes, I want to say it around 3 lbs, maybe less. It sets up with one set of trekking poles. Set up isn't more laborious IMO than any other backpacking tent I've dealt with other than everything depends on staking it out so you just have to get those in good. I don't use a footprint, the floor seems pretty robust. It's quite spacious for a lightweight 2p tent which is really nice but then you need to find a more spacious spot to pitch. Also, it doesn't pack down as small as you'd expect for the weight, I can probably improve my technique there, however. The other thing that drove me to buy it was the waterproof aspect. It doesn't absorb water like nylon however a little moisture will still cling to it. What I wanted was a better, lighter, more spacious tent than the one I had and I definitely got that. I can't give the best review either because I've only used it a few nights so far. Is it worth the price? Probably not for most people, however, I got a deal that I didn't want to pass up. Hoping it lasts me many seasons.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 12:13 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
If I had it to do again I'd probably go with Cuban fiber for weight and wet.
That's what I was looking for, I think. However, for the few nights a year that I use a tent, I think for now anyway, I'll just "buck up" and carry the slight extra weight. But that's what I had in mind. Thank you all for ideas and opinions. I was surprised to read that the silnylon (I still have to look that up to see what it is) sags when wet, and why.