Forum Index > Trail Talk > Government Shutdown - Paradise Area Conditions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:44 pm 
Hello all, I'd like to take my girlfriend snowshoeing tomorrow at Mt Rainier and I'm curious if anyone has been up to Paradise in the past few days? I know we're currently dealing with a government shutdown so I'm sure that complicates things. As far as I know, when this happens the gate is usually left open and there are no working staff. Does this mean that the road to and parking lot at Paradise will be left unplowed? Are the bathrooms open? Think I'll have any trouble in my '17 Forester? I'm from Michigan so I'm quite used to driving in the snow.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:58 pm 
That is a huge bummer. How unfortunate. Well, to keep the thread going what are everyone's favorite snowshoeing destinations in Washington? This will be her first time so something under 5 miles would probably be best.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 8:04 pm 
Maybe something like Kendall Peak Lakes at Snoqualmie Pass. On a weekday perhaps it's not so crowded, though a lot of people are off work this entire week. You'll need a SnoPark permit; buy a one time use pass and print it at home Here's a better link to the permit.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert