Forum Index > Trail Talk > Garbage, feces take toll on national parks amid shutdown
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 1:29 pm 
AP Article We just got back from Joshua Tree. It took about 3 days before all the toilets were overflowing and trashed. The park was completely packed, no parking anywhere, people fighting over campsites.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:52 pm 
hey, are we great yet?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 6:46 am 
Will be when they get the wall up

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 am 
Schroder wrote:
It took about 3 days before all the toilets were overflowing and trashed.
Flushers? As in maybe one should bring their own plunger? Yuckers. I was amazed at the damage done during a normal weekend to the toilets at a CA state park. I mentioned the problems to an employee and was told that maintenance would take care of it on Monday. Glad I have my own toilet most of the time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 9:17 am 
And yet not a single picture or video to be found anywhere of this trash, chaos and fighting. Plenty of trip reports on WTA from people going to ONP and MNRP and not a single mention of any such problems.

catsp

catsp
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 am 

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 am 
treeswarper wrote:
lushers? As in maybe one should bring their own plunger?
Joshua Tree is all pit toilets. No water within the park.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am 
That is despicable...it took effort to make that mess. Some people are worthless slobs.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
And yet not a single picture or video to be found anywhere of this trash, chaos and fighting. Plenty of trip reports on WTA from people going to ONP and MNRP and not a single mention of any such problems.
Yeah. It's a conspiracy. rolleyes.gif paranoid.gif lol.gif

Damian

Damian
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 am 
It would be good to get a balanced assessment of how the parks are being used overall during shutdowns these days. Of course there will be badness. There is even when the parks are open. Unfortunately it steals all the press.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 pm 
Schenk wrote:
That is despicable...it took effort to make that mess. Some people are worthless slobs.
Absolutely! I am constantly amazed and dismayed at how some people (don't) conduct themselves!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 pm 
A Times article on Joshua Tree.
I've been to Joshua Tree many times but never before at Christmas. It was the most crowded I've ever seen it. Every campsite was taken. I suspect Yosemite was similar. You can't compare Rainier and ONP where the gates are locked and they normally don't receive many visitors in the winter.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 1:41 pm 
Maybe it's me, but I can't see a pit toilet "overflowing" so quickly unless it was ready to be pumped beforehand. Deliberately pooping on the seat or on the floor, which I consider to be vandalizing, yes. That's why I was thinking flushers.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 pm 
catsp wrote:
I ran that picture through an exif data app and it was taken July 7, 2017 at 13:22. No GPS data found. Nice try though.

catsp

catsp
PostWed Jan 02, 2019 3:17 pm 
Never said it was taken recently (though admittedly I also didn't say it wasn't). Anyways, maybe the intended point was that it doesn't take a gov't shutdown for people to make a mess of things. Or maybe I just thought someone was looking for dirty potty pics. Your choice. smile.gif Anyways, your sleuthing, while admirable, ended up being off a bit. It was taken mid-March 2018. (Maybe) notably, it was taken at a trail head that was closed for the winter. It was not an overflowing situation, as what you see on the side was also on the lid. frown.gif