Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trails around Forks/Hoh not impedeed by the shutdown?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 5:21 pm 
Hello, anyone know of any trails in the Forks area that are accessible despite the shutdown? Preference lies with the rainforest over the coast. But we love the coast too! I just imagine it's incredibly muddy right now. I believe the Upper Hoh Road is currently gated off. Which is an incredible bummer... 5-8 miles would be the sweet spot for my guests I believe.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:49 pm 
Hoh Road is indeed barricaded at the park boundary, but I saw people walking in (there's nowhere to park at the barricades though). Bogachiel and South Fork Hoh should be fine. All of the Lake Crescent area was accessible.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:50 pm 
Hi, thank you for your response. How far of a walk in is it from the barricade? Tried to figure it out via Google Maps but street view isnt available off 101.

tinman

tinman
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 pm 
For the Hoh it is about a 6 mile walk to the visitor center, the campground and the beginning of the trail.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:56 pm 
Bah. So far. How unfortunate.

tinman

tinman
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:56 pm 
Also, if you're heading that way in the near future be ready to cross some creeks with high water and no bridges, especially on the Bogachiel and S.F. Hoh trails.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 04, 2019 7:13 pm 
Found this picture in a random Facebook group I was stalking......

tinman

tinman
PostSat Jan 05, 2019 8:03 am 
That sign is a left-over from when the Upper Hoh road had a potential washout 4 miles before the park boundary (the part that is blacked out, MM8 stands for Mile Marker 8). Here is an excerpt from the Olympic National Park website concerning the shutdown: Limited Access to Olympic National Park Due to Government Shutdown During the partial Federal government shutdown, Olympic National Park will remain open with limited access. Due to recent storm damage and high winds, most park roads and campgrounds were closed and will now remain closed during the shutdown. All park visitor centers, restrooms, contact stations, and permit desks will be closed. No visitor services will be provided. Hurricane Ridge Road will remain closed to public vehicle access with no regular plowing. Visitors may use park trails at their own risk. Emphasis added by me.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 pm 
FWIW: I heard from the friend that is a LE Ranger at Mt Rainier that they are preparing to close the park at the entrance gates. Seems that the partial closure has resulted in a lot of LE headaches. Today he had to deal with scofflaw that decided that the partial closure would be a great time to use his dog sled team to travel deep into the park and setup an elk poaching operation. shakehead.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jan 05, 2019 11:17 pm 
I was there today for those who are interested. The washout is small and not really a concern. There is a barricade at 6 miles with the old poster linked above posted that is easy to drive around. But the gate is closed at 4 miles unfortunately. Any more info on the sled dog ass####?