Forum Index > Trail Talk > Feet cramp up descending Amabilis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am 
I should maybe start taking magnesium supplements, can't hurt. Do other people go all the way down Amabilis in one go? Maybe the problem is my expectation that that's realistic? I did 30+ miles this weekend, 175 so far this season.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:11 am 
You mean without stopping your momentum at all? That's impressive regardless. There are a couple spots where usually I don't have a choice but to stop because of dips. But yeah, obviously, if it really hurts one obvious thing to do is just take a break.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am 
Based on your description, snow plowing isn't the problem. Basically the problem is standing. From the perspective of your feet, the cross country kick and glide motion is not that different than walking, in that you are bending your feet at the metatarsal, ankles, etc. Going down, you are basically just standing there. The speed doesn't bother you, so you stand; occasionally you bend your knees, pick up one foot to turn, but your feet are always flat. I think if you just stood there for that long, in those boots, your feet would hurt about as much. It may be you need better arches in your boots. Or, as you say, you might just consider taking a break on the way down and moving your feet. I would basically stretch my feet out, using the same kick and glide motion (even though you aren't going anywhere). Another thing you might try is a Telemark turn (or the start of a turn) as you go down. If you know how to Telemark turn, than you could do that. Make a few turns, then go back to kicking and gliding to get your speed back up. If you aren't comfortable with that turn, just kind of initiate it without the turning. Stick one ski back, bend at the knee and especially the foot. My guess is a few stretches like that could help a lot. I think everyone runs Amabalis at a different speed, depending on their comfort with speed and gear. Personally, it is rarely fast enough for me (my skis are a bit slow). I don't mind too much (I don't pole or kick too often going down, and I go really fast going up). On the other hand, I see some skiers, especially skate skiers, that just fly down the mountain. But they do have to slow themselves down (via snow plow, or some other turn). You are in between, which seems ideal. You aren't working hard to get down the hill, nor are you spending a lot of time slowing yourself down. While that sounds like a great way to get down the hill, it means you are basically standing, which is really not great for the body. While on skis it is pretty easy to loosen up the rest of your body (which you probably do, without thinking about it) but your feet aren't going to move unless you break into a kick and glide, which seems unlikely (I'm on slower gear and I usually just pole). I do find that the first kicks I make at the bottom, after basically just downhill skiing for miles are a bit weird. I don't have the pain you describe, but my feet seem to be shocked that we want to that thing again, after just standing for so long.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 3:46 pm 
Quote:
Do other people go all the way down Amabilis in one go?
I take breaks.... I don't have the legs for that!