Forum Index > Trail Talk > A little breezy in the Cascades today
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 05, 2019 2:37 pm 
Apparently another "doozy" is on the way, but probably too early to tell how it will really will impact any given area in WA - http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/01/major-wind-event-for-western-oregon-and.html

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm 
It feels like spring here. 45 degrees!!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 8:18 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Apparently another "doozy" is on the way, but probably too early to tell how it will really will impact any given area in WA -
And yesterday afternoon while riding the train home (and we were near Shelby, Montana at the time), I noticed lenticular clouds above the prairie to the north of us. I don't recall seeing (or noticing?) this before.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It feels like spring here. 45 degrees!!
Yeah, that was about the temperature in my house this morning (power has been out over 24 hours). On the plus side, I went ahead and opened the fridge this morning because the temperature differential was only a few degrees (the freezer is staying closed). Fortunately, the forecast says it won't get down to freezing or I'd be worried about my pipes.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 4:16 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Apparently another "doozy" is on the way, but probably too early to tell how it will really will impact any given area in WA - http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/01/major-wind-event-for-western-oregon-and.html
That doozy was weak!! I was hoping for more

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 pm 
No electrons here, pse says Wednesday.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
gb

gb
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 pm 
A guess is that many trailheads and trails suffered severe damage on the 30th. Hiking Cougar Mountain today, which isn't exactly wind exposed, there was a ton of downed trees including a good number of old growth firs, the largest about 3-1/2' in diameter and perhaps 200' - it fell right on a trail.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 am 
Quote:
That doozy was weak!! I was hoping for more
It got maple valley pretty good.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 am 
Kascadia wrote:
Best of luck. PSE said Wednesday for mine as well, but it actually came on by 9pm Monday.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am 
Thanks, windstorm...lol. Maybe it's better they don't fix it today, the wind is howling again...

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am 
Windstorm wrote:
Kascadia wrote:
Best of luck. PSE said Wednesday for mine as well, but it actually came on by 9pm Monday.
Do any of you folks have/use gas or wood fired stoves for these events? I put in one at my son's place about 3 years ago, and he hasn't had a power outage since! Figures.... lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Windstorm wrote:
Kascadia wrote:
Do any of you folks have/use gas or wood fired stoves for these events? I put in one at my son's place about 3 years ago, and he hasn't had a power outage since! Figures.... lol.gif
When I lived over there, yes on the wood stove. The problem was I had a well for water that had to have electricity to pump. So, I cluttered up a bathroom in the winter with two five gallon containers of water. I also could get flushing water out of the hot tub, unless it froze. My current house is all electric, but I had insulation added to the attic space so it'll hopefully take a while to cool off. Plans are to get a propane stove installed eventually, after I figure out where to put it and the tank. I am of the belief that when houses are close together, wood burning is not a good thing to do, although once they get going, the state approved stoves don't smoke out a place too badly. We've been warned of freezing rain and a bit of snow starting at 9AM. Nada so far. If it ever got too bad, I could head to a friend's place to huddle in front of their propane, or take refuge in the little trailer. I am a firm believer that PUDs take better care of their lines than private power companies. They are in the neighborhood working right now on replacing poles and lines. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I believe my house had a wood stove and some sort of propane heater at different times, but they were both removed (along with chimneys and tanks) before I moved in. There is no gas service in my street. If the power goes out a few more times, I might consider putting a wood stove back in, but I've been holding off because my house is small and it would take a pretty good chunk out of the living room. I plan to insulate the attic at some point, but I need to make it a little more difficult for the rats to get in first. The lack of insulation was probably a major contributor to the almost refrigerator-cold temperature I was dealing with. I have lots of camping gear, and so far, power outages have been a mild inconvenience (have to use a backpacking stove instead of the microwave to cook food and Netflix doesn't work), but that could change if it got cold enough for the pipes to freeze.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm 
I guess it's not over, for sure. Per Cliff Mass's latest post, there's a "huge, deep mid-latitude cyclone" sitting offshore right now. As we've been documenting here, every Puget Sound neighborhood has a slightly different experience, depending on your proximity to mts, wind direction, etc. Regardless of local effect, if a tree falls on your house, it counts as a "doozy". Fortunately, here in Ballard (land of few trees) we almost never have a power outage. My fave sites for checking on what's setting up (and the aftermath) are: UW Atmospheric Sciences Dept radar page Webcams for First Beach and James Island SPU power outage map Also bookmarked in my loosely defined "weather" folder are the GOES satellite pics, geomagnetic storm index, earthquake tracker, and last but not least, the comprehensive Skunk Bay Weather, maintained by a true weather nerd. Yep, I can fritter away time on the web with the best of 'em! biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 6:38 pm 
All hail the ELECTRON!!!!!