Forum Index > Trail Talk > Article about the Enchantments
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 2:03 pm 
In the Grand Canyon they use what they call a weighted lottery. There is an explanation of how it works here. You need to scroll down a bit to see the how it works explanation. I suppose something like that could work in the Enchantments.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 3:42 pm 
Ya that point-based weighted lottery, or some variation thereof, is the obvious way to go. Pretty much every limited access hunt in the country does something similar, and it is quite routine for a number of land access agencies. It's fair and allows failed applicants to still feel like they gained something(I have that much of a better chance next year!).

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm 
Unlimited day tripping in the enchantments is going to end eventually. They didn't imagine how many people would want to run through in a day, and I'm sure they didn't imagine how popular "trail running" in general would become.

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 am 
I think persons over the age of 70 (who can still hike/backpack) should be given a permit without the hassle of the lottery given the few years they have remaining to pull off such a hike.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 am 
schifferj wrote:
I think persons over the age of 70 (who can still hike/backpack) should be given a permit without the hassle of the lottery given the few years they have remaining to pull off such a hike.
But they had plenty of pre-permit years to hike it whenever they wanted. wink.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 am 
schifferj wrote:
No, because dead people can anything they want to do, and we can't. Lucky stiffs.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
schifferj wrote:
But they had plenty of pre-permit years to hike it whenever they wanted. wink.gif
No. Most had this priority called Earn A Living or Work which they had to do in order to continue living.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am 
schifferj wrote:
I think a weighted lottery as used on the Grand Canyon with 1 point given for above age 62 and an additional point above age 68 along with 1 to 5 points given for the number of years since you last got a permit.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 5:18 pm 
If you are over 80 you should get 5 points.😊

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 11:36 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
I know your response was tongue-in-cheek but I gotta go with Treeswarper (thanks for the support) on this one. In my "formative" years the Air Force pretty much dictated where I would be and none of those places were even close to the Enchantments pre permit.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
schifferj wrote:
No. Most had this priority called Earn A Living or Work which they had to do in order to continue living.
Are you telling us weekends and holidays hadn't been invented yet?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I worked quite a few of those when young, too. You gotta work when the weather conditions are right for what you want to do and weather doesn't care if it is a weekend or holiday. Often there are nice views to be had.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 pm 
We all make our choices in life. You can't expect the USFS to change their entire permit regime because you chose to take a job on weekends.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
schifferj wrote:
Speaking for myself, I got to visit the Enchantments in the '70s when I was a teenager, but in my 20s to 50s I was busy working, doing chores, changing diapers, coaching little league , helping with math homework. When I did get time for backpacking it was taking my kids, but they didn't take too as much as I did, so we never did anything as demanding as the Enchantments.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 8:05 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
We all make our choices in life. You can't expect the USFS to change their entire permit regime because you chose to take a job on weekends.
But what a job it was! I'd choose it any day over sitting in front of a computer five days a week. No regrets. A friend said that the Enchantments were ruined in the late 70s, by the way. I have NO desire to go there now. And, as I've always said, if you want solitude, don't go to a wilderness. There are a hell of a lot of places to not see or run into people if you aren't a wilderness snob.