Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best North American Winter Climbs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 1:56 pm 
In February, some friends and I are planning a 4 day road trip to get in an epic ski tour or two. A summit objective would be ideal. I'm really familiar with all the cool winter objectives in the Cascades and Olympics but Im looking for recommendations for peaks to ski out of state. We are willing to put down up to a 15-hour drive each way. Some contenders for destinations so far: Lake Tahoe, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Revelstoke... Any and all ideas will be considered and appreciated! Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm 
Spearhead Traverse?

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:28 pm 
Two remote exotics, Great Basin ranges, barely inside your driving parameter. Ibapah Peak in Utah's Deep Creek Range, about 100 miles s. of Wendover. Also Mount Moriah, Nevada's North Snake Range, maybe 80 miles south of Ibapah near the Utah/Nevada border town of Baker. Both have 12.000' summits, often feature 100 mile visibility. Moriah has some neat bristlecones high up. Have been on top of both several times, only skiing once - Moriah on Mem. Day. Not sure about Feb. avi aspect. Note that w. side of Deep Creeks is tribal land, and not open (to my knowledge). Trailheads for both Moriah and Ibapah at about 6,000' Have you considered posting this question at TurnsAllYear?

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 pm 
In February it's really about the weather. Mt Baker, Glacier peak and Garabali would be interesting objectives if the weather cooperates or deadly if not. Dragontail and Little Annapurna would be enjoyable skis in a slightly less exposed to bad weather location. Silver Star is good too -- even if exposed to helicopter skiers.

geyer

geyer
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:09 pm 
Possibly a Ruby Mountains traverse in Nevada, though I think they had a major fire at the primary access point last year. I think a lot of the Great Basin Ranges would be interesting to ski

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm 
Thanks for the replies all! Our dates are set for Feb 2-5. Spearhead Traverse: an interesting idea but I think we aren't likely to have ideal conditions. We are more thinking of heading east. Eric and Geyer, these are the kind of idea I'm fishing for. Ill look into both of these, thanks! Keep the recommendations rolling!

silence

silence
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:22 pm 
I've had this bookmarked for several years now ... Mt Ritter: http://www.tahoebackcountry.net/features/2007_ritter/2007_ritter2.htm He did it in Mar, but in Feb there might be more snow which is a good thing. Avy danger is a consideration ... and hitting a good weather window, but it would be cool. A 15-hr drive from Seattle. Current conditions and webcam at June Lake: https://www.junemountain.com/winter/mountain-information/mountain-information/snow-conditions-and-weather

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 pm 
LOL. Cracked me up to see Howard Shechter's weather forecast on the June Mt. page. He's been at Mammoth forever, like 30+ years, and doing local weather.

Off trail rambler
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:08 pm 
Mount Scott at Crater Lake? If clear seems like a heck of a view. This guy has a lot on his page http://www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSki/CascadeSki.php?name=CraterLake

Off trail rambler
Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 pm 
You might consider watching the jet stream location and forecasts for whatever location you select to do your early February ski tour. The North America Jet Stream Forecast and North Pacific Jet Stream forecast internet sites are places to get present and forecast jet stream conditions. Presently (Jan 10, 2019) the jet stream is moving south so Washington will enjoy calm conditions for about a week or more.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 11:36 am 
Good point Mikey. FWIW always easier to shift targets, call an audible, if plan B is so attractive it's actually an A -.

Off trail rambler