Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where is gate on the North End of Mountain Loop Highway (is Pugh Trailhead accessible)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goleary

goleary
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm 
I've heard that the Mountain Loop highway is gated 2 miles from the trail to big 4. Does anyone know where it's gated on the north end? I've heard it's usually gated ~9 miles from Darrington, that appears as though it's before the turn off to Pugh. Does anyone know if the Pugh trail head typically remains accessible once they gate the road for the season (snow on the road aside)?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 6:56 pm 
It's about 5 miles to the trailhead from the gate.

goleary

goleary
PostSat Jan 12, 2019 7:52 pm 
Just so I understand what you are saying, do you mean the trailhead is beyond the gate (coming from darrington), adding 5 road miles to the trip? or that the gate is beyond the trailhead, not affecting access to Pugh from darrington. I was under the impression that some people live in the bedal area and road remains open through there (which is beyond the pugh trailhead...)

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 13, 2019 5:53 pm 
No one lives in Bedal. The gate is where the Whitechuck River joins the Sauk. It's a 5 mile walk beyond to the Pugh Trailhead.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 pm 
There is a road heading off to the right heading west and a sign that says, "Forgotten" something or other and a bridge not far from the turnoff....maybe there are summer cabins down that road? I did not venture past the bridge as there are Private Property signs.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
goleary

goleary
PostSun Jan 13, 2019 7:39 pm 
Just to update anyone else who's interested, the road to Pugh is open and driveable both ML and the road to the Pugh trail, not a bit of snow on the trail even till near 4k feet. There was a sign that said the mountain loop is closed at Barlow pass (coming from darrington) but we didn't continue past the turn off for Pugh.

geyer

geyer
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 am 
Looked like a fun trip Gabe So where exactly are the MLH winter closures typically? I've never ventured on Mountain loop in winter in either direction

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jan 14, 2019 11:55 am 
Schroder wrote:
The gate is where the Whitechuck River joins the Sauk. It's a 5 mile walk beyond to the Pugh Trailhead.
So from Darrington, you can get to N Fk Sauk trailhead unless snow stops you, which in average years, it will. and the other gate on the Granite Falls side is at Deer Creek.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert