Forum Index > Trail Talk > MRNP Nisqually entrance to Longmire is open again
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jm31828

jm31828
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 am 
So I see that MRNP is open again, with the road open to Longmire and with services available (restrooms open and maintained). This is great news, we are considering going up there to hike at the Longmore and Kautz Creek areas. My question is, I've never been there in winter- are you required to have chains in the vehicle when entering the park if only going to Longmire (especially when the road beyond to Paradise is not even open)?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am 
I've only seen the NPS do chain enforcement at the Longmire gate. Longmire is at 2600 foot elevation or so. I don't think there is much snow in the forecast at that elevation or below in the next week. But could change at anytime. Snow doesn't hit the western Washington lowlands very often, but when it does, it is a disaster as so many drivers lack experience, M+S rated tires, sand and chains to deal with slippery roads.

jm31828

jm31828
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 1:14 pm 
Thanks for the info! We do have an AWD SUV with good tires, but never bothered buying chains as we never drive up into the mountains when it's actually snowing or icy, so never had a need. Just wanted to be sure we wouldn't be turned away at the entrance on our way to Longmire without them. smile.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 pm 
jm31828 wrote:
Just wanted to be sure we wouldn't be turned away at the entrance on our way to Longmire without them. smile.gif
The last time I used chains was in 1974 in the Rocky Mountains somewhere....but i carry 'em so I can say I actually have some if/when asked.... ;-)

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm 
I bought a used set at goodwill to keep in the trunk to show as necessary

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am 
It's the law to "carry chains" from November somethingth to later somethingth when driving on the Passes. The same in Oregon.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:00 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It's the law to "carry chains" from November somethingth to later somethingth when driving on the Passes. The same in Oregon.
November 1 to April 1, and I think it only applies to vehicles over 10,000 lb gross vehicle weight. (Unless you're using the AWD/4WD exemption when chains are required. Then you have to carry chains as well.) Still, it's not a bad idea to carry chains over the passes anyway in the winter. I've been on my way back home and had to chain up a couple of times, once in a 2wd car and once or twice in my 4wd truck because chains were required on all vehicles. Carrying chains beats trying to find a place to spend the night because you can't get home (When I was a kid, I remember my family doing that once when they shut down the pass).