Forum Index > Partners > Looking for partners going together to Olympic National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
romen1103

romen1103
PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 pm 
It's apple from Taiwan. I will be in Seattle since May 6 to May 20. I actually go there for a meeting, but the meeting is only two days. So I am gonna plan to go Olympic National Park. For that, I am looking for the partner going with me, we can discuss the date together, or can advise the good local tour agency in Seattle to me, both is fine. Thank you all.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildcat

wildcat
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm 
Highly suggest going to see the Olympic Peninsula, the big trees are amazing. I can advise you on where to go (pm me for details if it's of interest) but if possible going with someone from the NWHikers community should be pretty worthwhile - I can't make the trip this time, but I bet somebody is free!

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:57 pm 
Just curious why you would send a visitor from overseas to Vesper peak after last summer's cluster***k?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
wildcat

wildcat
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm 
I don't know anything about that story, but valid point. I hadn't considered cell reception issues there - probably not a great plan smile.gif I saw a lot of people hiking in casual cloths there and taking pictures when I went in November and I thought it was a beautiful place.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:17 pm 
romen1103 wrote:
"...May 6 to May 20...."
Are you staying in downtown Seattle? Or near the airport at SeaTac? Or somewhere else? Will you have your own transportation? Rental car? Are you travelling solo? Do you own a backpack? Sleeping bag? Sleeping pad? Other accoutrements for overnight camping in the wilderness? Can you offer some relative idea of experience and any particular destinations you have in mind?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
romen1103

romen1103
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 6:14 pm 
To Waterman I am actually not the visitor. I go to Seattle for the meeting that is located in WA university. But The meeting is only two days. For that, I just make the plan to go the Park by the way. Thanks

romen1103

romen1103
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am 
To Ski Yes, I travel there alone and actually go for a meeting that is located in WA university on 17 May to 18 May. First day, I will stay in Seattle, but I don't have any idea for hostel yet. After that, I will go the park, then Vancouver and go back to Seattle on 16 May till 20 May. I don't have my own tansportation. I need to depend on the public transportation to go somewhere. I also can stay overnight in the park for camping if possible. I look for partners to go together cuz of I am unfamiliar to the road. To look for partners to go together that is better for the plan.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm 
A hostel? This is Seattle, not Switzerland. I think you would do well to do a little more research - figure out exactly where you are going to stay and when, and exactly what arrangements you are going to make for transportation. The Olympic Peninsula is not right across the street from Seattle - it's a 3 or 4 hour drive that may or may not involve a ferry crossing of Puget Sound. Once you get up on the Peninsula, options are quite limited for procurement of needed items. Unless you are thinking of making arrangements to stay in a motel, you will need to have the necessary overnight gear. During mid-May that could be shorts and a t-shirt or full-blown rain gear. Temperatures out on the peninsula might range anywhere from the mid-40s at night up to 90° F during the day - it can be wildly variable. You will want to be prepared for it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wildcat

wildcat
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm 
On the other end of the spectrum for advice, I'd say just got for it. You've already made it as far as locating NWHikers.net website, so that's a vote of confidence! Public transportation out there exists (I think?)... but I'm not sure it'll be super easy... I'd vote rent a car or find somebody to take you if possible obviously, it'll save soooo much time. Seems like that's exactly what you're trying to do smile.gif I would recommend making sure you have snacks packed for the trip, Port Angeles is a good place to stock up on gas/food. Places to visit: 1. Hoh Rainforest (do the guided hike if possible) 2. hurricane ridge (the views are amazing if the weather is good and you can drive up then do a short hike or see the visitor center) 3. salt creek tide pools (go at low tide if possible) 4. There are a number of big trees marked by signs along the roadside on 101 along the coast... the giant cedar and giant spruce are my favorites, if you can find them! 5. stop at any one of the beaches and go see the pacific ocean - the washington coast is amazing. Third Beach is one good option. If you're able to find an adventure buddy, awesome, it'll definitely save money! If not, it'll be an adventure, and you'll be fine particularly if you've done some traveling internationally already (if not... it'll be a new experience), it's a long trip but pretty straightforward once you get to 101. Use google maps to navigate smile.gif Motels aren't too expensive out there and aren't going to fill up that time of year. If it were me visiting, I'd probably just sleep in my car or a tent at salt creek campground or even camp or get a cabin at Kalaloch, or use airBNB. I doubt you'll have much luck with couch surfing on the peninsula but you never know! Enjoy!

Damian

Damian
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:46 pm 
There are many things to do on the Olympic Peninsula for day visits or overnight adventures. Wildcat listed some great options. Check the Olympic National Park website for others or the chamber of commerce of any of the major towns in the vicinity. Good luck and enjoy your visit. BTW, there are plenty hostel options in and around Seattle.

Songs2

Songs2
PostMon Jan 21, 2019 3:04 pm 
romen1103: Here is a list of hostels *in* Seattle, http://www.hostels.com/seattle/usa]Hostels Hosteling International lists one: https://www.hihostels.com/destinations/us-seattle/hostels From there you can explore outward. The USA tends to have fewer good public transportation options than, say, Europe. You might be able to get by with a combination of public transit, Uber, Lyft, and the kindness of strangers. I am not from the area. Perhaps someone can help out with options other than car rental?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 21, 2019 5:09 pm 
If you can't find a travel buddy, don't be afraid to step out on your own. Several years ago, I rented an apartment to a family from France visiting for the summer. Making a trip to the Olympic rainforest was one of their goals. They did some research about the park, and rented a car. I lent them my tent and I suppose they rented other equipment for cooking. They stayed in one of the campgrounds on the north side of the park, and did day trips from there. If you can afford it, there are motels in Sequim, Port Angeles and Forks which you could use as a base for doing day trips. You also mentioned seeing Vancouver, but you might consider scaling back some of your expectations so you don't exhaust yourself. Once you get to the Olympic Peninsula from the ferry, it's a long drive over 2 lane roads to get to some of the destinations, so give yourself time both for driving and enjoying the destination once you get there. If other alternatives fail, there's always this: Olympic National Park Small Group Tour from Seattle. Unfortunately, it's only a day trip.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood