Forum Index > Trail Talk > best map for a project
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm 
Not sure if Trail Talk is quite the right forum for this, but I have a question: What is the best looking, currently available for purchase, map of washington state that features major forest roads as well as highways and normal map stuff? I want to do a project for my partner where I trace out on a map literally ALL of the routes we've driven in the state to go to our adventures.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mikey

Mikey
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm 
My guess you will need maps, plural. I think it will be difficult to get all the roads, highways, and major forest roads on one map unless you find some software map.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm 
FS roads are the kicker as they don't appear on standard commercial maps. Also, the level of detail you are looking for would make the map prohibitively large. That said, there may be some options that would work. Visit the fine folks down at Metsker Maps (1st & Pike in Seattle) and they can help you out.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:39 pm 
For a cheap solution I guess I'd buy 2 of the https://www.amazon.com/Washington-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/089933329X DeLorme gazetteers and rip the pages out and tape them together? Edit: On 2nd thought, that'd probably be larger than a wall in a large room. There are also solutions for generating a large map from any of the online tile-based map layers.

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 4:49 pm 
If you go the direction of a bounded atlas, I'd recommend Benchmark over Delorme: Benchmark Website (also on amazon). I find these to be more attractive and easier to read, with more accurate forest road info. Of course if you wanted a wall map you'd need to buy two copies... I've done the same project for WA and with other states using a Rand McNally Atlas; I'd recommend getting highlighters with a bunch of colors so you can identify by years, which is kinda fun.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm 
Support your small, local businesses. Atlases (both Benchark and Delorme) available at Metsker Maps.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm 
I don't know what the current status is, but the Forest Service used to print up quite detailed free maps showing lots of back roads covering a fairly broad area, although you might need a magnifying glass to see them clearly.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 1:28 pm 
Ski wrote:
Raven map of Washington State
No longer available except as print on demand directly from Raven at an astronomical price. I snagged our display when we closed the Alderwood store.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
That one is hanging on my living room wall.
Yes, I followed that.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm 
There's a dilemma involving scale and perspective with the map you want to create. In order to show even "major" forest roads with any sort of clarity, the map would have to be enormous. For example, the NG map of Wa state measures 40 inches wide, and shows only major highways. Most forest roads would be little more than a dot or a squiggle at that scale.
To be useful, a paper map of all major forest roads in Wa state would have to be 10 or 20 feet wide. You could probably do this by tiling the output of a large format printer. Whereas digital maps are magic, allowing you to zoom in and out, and scroll beyond the edges...