Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
Moonspots, Anne, that sounds similar to what I have, mostly had.
"Usually comes on in the 50s and 60s"... so it sounds like my best bet is a time machine... 😊

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I'll ask about anyone's experiences or opinions in dealing with "trigger finger"
I had it for most of this year and, now that you mention it, I just realized I don't currently have it. I have no clue why it went away nor how I got it.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:53 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Hmmmm. I heard about this on NPR a few years ago: Nature: The development of allergic inflammation
This is similar to what happened to our youngest son. Within days of birth he developed severe eczema (looked like a severe burn for his first 2 years). Then came the food allergies and asthma. All 3 are fully related and intertwined. It is an autoimmune issue. The body becomes so inflamed that new issues keep cropping up. By the time he was 4 years old the list of foods he reacted to were so long his allergist doctor was afraid he'd end up with almost nothing to eat. Then out of frustration at 4.5 years old, I knew something HAD to change. Fast. It was when he ate sunflowers and had a bad reaction. He is 6.5 years now and we have had NO new food allergies since then. How and what? We worked on his gut. Heal the GI tract. His asthma is minimal now, his skin is nearly clear. He rarely has gut wrenching pains. No more GI issues. But if exposed to crappy, processed foods it triggers him and he is in pain for days. His skin breaks out all over and asthma is right behind. He eats gluten-free (he is allergic to wheat), and eats nearly all organic food. Minimal sugar. We grow much of his food or know where it came from. It's why we farm. Some say I wear a tin foil hat tight now, but if it works, it works. Oh yeah? And I quit hauling him to western med doctors except for asthma. He sees an ND once a year and has no more invasive testing. He also has had no vaccinations since he was 1. Vaccinations only worsen the inflammation for him (and yes, this was a western dr - his board certified allergist dr - who said no more).

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 5:39 pm 
Sarbar wrote:
This is similar to what happened to our youngest son. Within days of birth he developed severe eczema
What was the first allergy to? Your breast milk? And if so, did you change your diet? Just curious.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 pm 
I have had a silver dollar sized psoriasis spot on my left knee for about 3 years and I read that 30% of those with psoriasis also develop Psoriatic Arthritis later and that there is also a link to that and plantar fascitis and I also had that for a couple of years. Interestingly the psoriasis spot has completely disappeared likely due to all the menthol rub I have been using. I also read that trauma or infection can cause psoriatic arthritis to flare up. The yellow jacket sting was somewhat traumatic imho. The thing that is a bit confusing is that the stiffness and pain is localized to areas I have injured in the past. Nights are the worst after everything has stopped moving, I am able to sleep pretty well if I take a muscle relaxer and maybe a bit of ibu. Hopefully it will get better with time, rest, stretching and supplements, if not I will have to pursue further treatment.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
moonspots wrote:
I'll ask about anyone's experiences or opinions in dealing with "trigger finger"
I had it for most of this year and, now that you mention it, I just realized I don't currently have it. I have no clue why it went away nor how I got it.
Well your response, and that from Brushwork gives me some encouragement. And Anne Elk's reference to the various articles in wiki illustrate why I'm not too eager to take on another surgery. Especially since I envision that surgery would curtail my various activities for a while, and particularly climbing. I did visit with a hand surgeon, and he said the pulley at the base of the finger (in the palm) isn't needed anyway so it's quite ok to cut it. ....so if it's "not needed" why is it there, I asked. He didn't know, just knows how it's all put together, and how it works. Ok, fair enough.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm 
I am happy to announce that after 4 1/2 months the swelling in my left knee is completely gone. I am now walking without a limp and today after running out of gas in my snowmobile, I walked about 3 miles with no problems. Pretty sure I hyper-extended my knee doing some boot scooting one night at a bar, then doing a boulder hopping hike, and to top it off my first mountain bike ride on an actual trail during which I had a minor crash on my way to upper Priest Lake. A few weeks back I began stretching and doing leg lifts and now have probably 85% extension back in my leg. I just need to continually remind myself that I am 57, not 27. doh.gif As for my arms they are still bothering me but are slowly improving, but have not prevented me from splitting some firewood and hauling in wheelbarrow loads of Tamarack to feed our wood stove. I think I have a combination of torn-strained biceps and a bit of tendinitis due to years of hard work and too many mouse clicks. Keeping active and slowly working through the pain seems to be helping the most. So for those who recommended stretching and staying active, that has been the best advice, at least in my case. Thanks! Edited to add, today I walked another 3-4 miles uphill in the snow while carrying a gas can, I am frickin' trashed but no limping! Hiking might be in my future this summer after all. smile.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I just need to continually remind myself that I am 57, not 27. doh.gif
Yeah, my chiropractor keeps telling me that I need to remember this also, and I'm a decade ahead of you. agree.gif However, the whole bit about keeping moving seems to be quite useful. I've managed to put off shoulder surgery for ~30 years now by keeping it moving, and gradually it's getting to the point where I rarely, if ever, notice the impingement, or whatever it was that was going on in there causing significant pain.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
moonspots wrote:
I'll trade ya.... lol.gif It's not getting any better, but not noticeably worse either. I notice that the days I climb small fingertip sized rocks in the gym, it seems to be better, and if I bend & flex both the ring finger and middle finger together, it isn't a problem. So for now, I'll just go with the surgeon's advice "when it locks up and I can't move it, go see him again".

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 5:07 pm 
I continue to improve, very little pain and joint stiffness, and what I do have is alleviated with about 4-500 milligrams of IBU. Question, IBU seems to make me tired, I have asked several doctors and they said that it doesn't. I think they are FOS, and they wonder why we don't trust them? I think I might try Naproxen, at least during the day. I wonder if that will work on inflammation-joint stiffness and if it will cause drowsiness?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 pm 
Hey it makes me tired also, but it might be the gin I wash it down with souse.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 7:44 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Question, IBU seems to make me tired, I have asked several doctors and they said that it doesn't. I think they are FOS, and they wonder why we don't trust them?
pharmacist wife (as well as the interwebs) says it's listed as a possible side effect but isn't common.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Hey it makes me tired also, but it might be the gin I wash it down with souse.gif
Lol...actually one good side effect from my issues is that my alcohol tolerance level is suddenly cut in half. Now one 6 pack about knocks me out, prior to this, a 6 pack was just a good start.
neek wrote:
pharmacist wife (as well as the interwebs) says it's listed as a possible side effect but isn't common.
How about Naproxen, what does the wife say about that as far as making one feel tired?

neek

neek
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
How about Naproxen, what does the wife say about that as far as making one feel tired?
Sounds like it's practically the same drug, a very similar molecule with the same side effects. Might as well try it though. Drugs are all about experimentation.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am 
More support for staying active. I played basketball a few weeks ago and into the second game my calf muscle that has been bothering me sporadically for about 4 years started to cramp and hurt. I played through it and toward the end of the game it stopped hurting. I played again last Tuesday and (knock on wood) it didn't hurt at all. As far as my upper arm pain, I have been able to manage the pain taking 750-1000 mg of NSAIDs per day. I have a doctors apt the 1st of April to see about getting Corizone shots in each arm which hopefully allow me to be pretty much pain free without meds. Progress. up.gif