Forum Index > Trip Reports > PCT WA K - Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass in 8 days
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Katinka

Katinka
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm 
This is kind of old (from August), but I thought I'd just post it anyway. smile.gif File is too big for Flickr:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 pm 
Very nice, Katinka! You put in a lot of miles on some of those days. It’s too bad about the smoke, but at least you didn’t get rained on. It’s rare to see so few hikers on that section of the PCT in August, but I think a lot of section hikers were waiting for the skies to clear and postponed their trips. Most of the thru hikers from Mexico hadn’t arrived yet, so theoretically it’s a good time to do that stretch of the PCT.

brewermd

brewermd
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 9:18 am 
I walked PCT Wa state two summers ago and I have to say that the section around Glacier Peak was one of my favorites! Thank you for sharing your pictures.

BarbE

BarbE
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am 
Really enjoyed your video! I’m inspired to attempt the same trip or a possibly a shorter version. Sorry about the smoke and missing out on the great scenery around White/Red Pass and the White Chuck/Glacier Peak Meadow basin. Congrats on persevering despite major pain and finishing your journey! up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm 
brewermd wrote:
I walked PCT Wa state two summers ago and I have to say that the section around Glacier Peak was one of my favorites! Thank you for sharing your pictures.
I haven't thru hiked it, but hit the majority of it on various loops and traverses. Agreed, that section is wonderful. I'm only missing a handful of miles from the junction below Benchmark Mountain thru to Suiattle Pass.

Katinka

Katinka
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 5:37 pm 
Thanks, you guys! Smoke definitely thinned the ranks, but whenever I got near connector trails, I'd run into more people. There were also a few from-Mexico thru-hikers, all of them VERY fast! I was happy that when I hauled ass to Holden Village to catch the morning bus, I caught up with about 8 young guys who'd passed me further back and interacted a little, so we got to hang out together at Holden, on the boat, and at Stehekin. I saw some of them on my last day when most of L was closed from fires and, since I'm FROM here and they were not, explain to them that they could hitch west and follow the Ross Lake trail north. I do so love thru-hikers! They're the best! Bear hunters, on the other hand, are the worst.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:08 pm 
Katinka wrote:
Bear hunters, on the other hand, are the worst.
Have you had some problems with them? I'm not a hunter, I'm not super excited when I see somebody with a rifle slung over their shoulder, but all of them I've encountered have been fine. I exchange some chit chat with them and then we go on our separate way.

Katinka

Katinka
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:43 pm 
I strongly disagree with their ethic - the ethic of hunting anything in this era of waning wildlife, but particularly anything as intelligent as a bear. Some hunters have been decent people who simply adhere to what I would call an outdated archetype of objectifying wildlife, as if non-human animals do not feel terror, grief, suffering, and loss just like ours, denying their experience rather than connecting to them with compassion. One hunter I heard joking with others about watching a bear die, how it struggled to get up and fell repeatedly. Haha! And one swore at me upon crossing paths from sheer terror of the wilderness, lugging with him an enormous sight, while his lardy parter, carrying the huge gun, told me with condescending grin that they were out there "to pr'tect yuh!" I am a guest of the land and wildlife while I hike. I would murder no one.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:13 pm 
Okay, we're pretty much on the same page. I think bears are magnificent, I don't like the idea of them being shot either. As long as hunters are in season and acting in a safe and responsible manner I'm not going to give them any grief or give them attitude. Not anything I can do about it, they have a legal right to hunt. I haven't had anyone claim they were out there protecting me, but you're probably subjected to some things that I am not when you are a solo female hiker. It shocked me the first time I saw a bear hunter on a trail in August, the season lasts forever. I'm used to deer hunters in Sept. and Oct.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 pm 
Not all hunters in the backcountry are dicks.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Katinka

Katinka
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 pm 
I did say to the 'here to pr'tect yuh' pair, "I don't like you; I think what you're doing is wrong. What's the ratio of humans to bears on this planet? I'm extremely angry." And then I hiked away, fast, but I was shaking and upset and praying for the bear for the entire rest of the day. I"m never rude or snotty, though, of course. We're not here to hurt each other.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 pm 
What a great video !!!! I liked how you were able to work with your knee and didn't have to call for help. Could relate to a lot of what you said along the way. This was a good time to share your trip, thank-you!!!!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Katinka

Katinka
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:30 am 
Thanks, Brushwork!

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 am 
Louisa...lovely video and great commentary. I appreciate what solo hikers go through on long distance adventures more because of your video. I hope your knee is now healed and I look forward to your next video! cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
bkellygr

bkellygr
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 6:29 pm 
Great job - keep going. I recall watching your other videos in years past and ended up doing one of them last year. I've now done a section in each state. I have had so much fun that I think I want to do a section each year. Maybe I'll finish some day. Thanks again for sharing your adventures!