Forum Index > Trail Talk > It ain't gonna rain no more.....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 7:38 am 
The sucky ski season continues as the next 7 days at least look quite dry, NWS:
Quote:
LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...Models in good agreement through most of the extended period. Weak shortwave moving down the backside of the upper level ridge clipping the North Cascades Sunday for a slight chance of showers there while the remainder of the area remains dry. Ridge pops back up again for Monday and Tuesday. The model solutions diverge on Wednesday with the ECMWF and Canadian showing a weak shortwave moving through the ridge into Western Washington while the GFS keeps the ridge intact. With the models differences will have a chance of showers in the forecast for Wednesday. If the shortwave remains somewhat intact moving through the ridge the precipitation on Wednesday will be light. With little rain expected for the rest of the month Seattle in on track to have a dry January. If the current monthly total of 3.79" through 4 am this morning holds up through the end of the month this will be the 5rd driest January in the last 25 years in Seattle ( the other years that were drier, 2001 with 2.70", 2015 with 3.66", 2014 3.70" and 2000 with 3.77" ). Felton
It ain't gonna rain no more.... Longer term, it could get cold just after the first of February for a few days, and more normal precipitation appears to be forecast for February 2nd through 6th, at least for awhile. Farther out, though, CPC long term monthly outlooks look bleak for precipitation and significantly warmer than normal through the end of the summer https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1, looking to indicate another bad fire year - depending on lightning storms.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am 
Head East young man, this resort received 51" of powder over the last few days. https://skilookout.com/

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 9:17 am 
Maybe they padded the numbers just a bit? That, or I just don't really know how to interpret the info. I know some consolidation and settling will occur, but...The Snotel site, less than 1 mile away (across I-90) doesn't seem to confirm that. https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=LKTI1&num=168&banner=NONE

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am 
I'm glad I was able to glom onto a hut trip with some citizens of our fair neighbor to the north to ski in the Selkirks all last week. We had some very nice skiing conditions up there (in the Esplanade Range of the Selkirks). They were getting a nice round of significant refills on our last few days that were expected to continue through this past weekend.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 5:25 pm 
My Mom said it was Mt Spokane, not Lookout, but at any rate, all the ski resorts in this area (Eastern wa-Idaho-western Montana), have an excellent base and at least a foot of powder. Schweitzer has some good deals, in Priest River there is a burger place and they have a sign inside advertising $12 lift tickets on Tue nights, not sure when that is in effect though.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.