Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Mariners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jan 05, 2019 6:14 pm 
Im not a baseball guy, but friends tell me the "Pilots" (I like that name better than Mariners) gave away all their good players this off season.... Nearly everyone Ive talked to are very close to giving up on the Mariners!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im not a baseball guy, but friends tell me the "Pilots" (I like that name better than Mariners) gave away all their good players this off season.... Nearly everyone Ive talked to are very close to giving up on the Mariners!
What Mariners?

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am 
The Pilots!!! I still remember going to games the one and only year they were in town....It was about the only reason my Dad would come down to the south end (where I live now)from Ballard in those days. I always feel a tinge of sadness when I pass the old home plate at the Lowe’s down on Rainier.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm 
I still have my Seattle Pilots "Don Mincher" autographed Louisville slugger bat. They gave away full sized bats in those days. Imagine if they did that today. eek.gif ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm 
borank wrote:
It's interesting to see that Hendu actually had better stats with the Mariners than in his 111 games with Boston. His best statistical seasons were later with Oakland. IIRC, there was some tension between him and the M's in his playing days, probably resulting from his flair while playing, which was viewed dimly in those days but seems more accepted now. I was glad to see him back with the broadcast team in recent years. And yes, he always seemed to have a smile and a very positive attitude.
That may be true. But how many postseasons did he appear in with the Mariners and how many clutch HRs did he hit in said occurrences with them? He had two clutch HRs with the Sox in ‘86 when it mattered most. Individual stats don’t mean much if you’re golfing in October. Agree with you on the big smile. And man, could he get some loft under himself when he jumped.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm 
Congrats Edgar Martinez!

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 pm 
breakdance.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Congrats Edgar Martinez!
About time! Being out here in "South Alaska" cost him. Should have in the HOF been years ago. up.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm 
Actually there are many baseball purists who won't ever vote for a DH, the main reason it took so long. It's not Edgars fault, as great a hitter as he was, he would always have had a place in the field.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Jan 26, 2019 10:49 am 
Did anyone else catch the the interview that Scott Servais did with Q13? In speaking about the 2018 Mariners he said, “some of it was out of our control a little bit. What Oakland did. And obviously the Astros won the division.” This attitude is why the entire culture that surrounds the team sucks and the team will never win. Coming out ahead of the A's and the Astros is in his control 100% of the time every single year. Win more than them. Beat them more. And don’t shoot for the wild card spot. The fact that Oakland was front of mind and Houston was secondary is very telling. He needs to read Pete Carroll’s book and stop shooting for mediocrity. Until there is a leadership change or his philosophy gets an overhaul they will continue to suck. These words would never fly in Boston or New York. They would rip him apart in the media.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 6:11 pm 
Looks like Chris Sale is pitching opening day at Fenway West. I wonder who the M’s will start? https://www.instagram.com/p/BvHKnl7H7uU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ip9nrvnqkpxk

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 pm 
One week until opening day! Who else is stoked?!?

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Mar 23, 2019 7:11 am 
The mariners are in first place with two wins. They lead all of baseball! Who else is psyched for opening day against the world champions? I can’t wait to see Chris Sale pitch!

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Mar 27, 2019 7:33 am 
Red Sox starting pitching has been announced: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvg2masnAjQ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8uzalmq9gxbm Game 1: Sale Game 2: Nasty Nate Game 3: Rodrigues Game 4: Porcello Who are these pitchers that the Ms have going? I’ve never heard of them. https://www.mlb.com/mariners/roster/probable-pitchers

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 am 
The Mariners should stay in Japan, at least people would show up for their games.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.