Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Out of control Pitbull, Mt Si. (Saturday Jan 12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
Guidelines for posting in a dog thread angel.gif You shall make no more than 1 post in a dog thread unless you have posted or replied to a trip report (or photo) since your last visit. Thanking someone for their contribution goes a long way to building and fostering a sense of community!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 12:02 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
they even lash out at sympathizers, allies and the unaware; take offense, get all self-righteous, lecture the hapless inadvertent offender, then pick up all their marbles and go home, negating the chance for dialog and any understanding
Exactly. I'm so tired of this.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 12:12 am 
The key to MLK’s success was not civil discourse, it was mobilizing large numbers of people due to injustice through civil disobedience which was met by violence, firehouses, dogs, lynching, and murder. Civil discourse ends up with you getting ignored if lucky and killed if not. MLK was hard as nails and was jailed many times and eventually murdered.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 am 
Sure. But his civil discourse and learned oratory were equally important; and is what's sorely lacking today. I think you missed my point. Getting mad, picking up your marbles and going home doesn't solve anything.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 7:28 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
The exchange reminds me of the stuff that set off Yana and Radka last summer; they were angry and got even angrier b/c some people thought they were over-reacting (the issue/topic was sexism and harassment in the climbing community
Let's not talk about people who are not here to defend themselves.

neek

neek
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 am 
Since this thread is already hopelessly weird and off-topic, I may as well inject some more randomness before it gets locked. The intent is to be positive and helpful, but since little goes uncriticized these days, apologies in advance. Please feel free to skip if you're only interested in the original subject. There are things you learn later in life that should be taught from an early age. One of these is that suffering is a state of mind. Without consciousness there can be no suffering. Whether it's physical pain or mental anguish, negative experience only gains meaning through the subjective lens of the mind. That is not to say these things aren't real, or can't be damaging. Consciousness is about as real as it gets (although this, too, is subject to debate). But the key realization is that your mind is one of the few things, if not the only thing, that you have control over. And like a muscle, it can be trained and improved. Anger has served an important purpose during the course of human evolution and continues to do so today, although to a lesser extent. Anger that leads to positive action, or improved relationships, is, I think, ultimately OK. But it doesn't need to result in long term emotional distress. Once you learn to recognize negative emotions when they arise and observe their physiological effects objectively, you gain great power over them. This is not easy and requires much practice, patience, and open-mindedness. But it's worth it. People have figured this stuff out and you don't have to subscribe to any organized religion to make it work, although beware of charlatans. What inspired me to write this was the earlier comment "I'm tired and lost and have no hope for the future". That, to me, is an unnecessarily bleak view of the world that is purely internal and can be overcome. It is true, we may be on the path to destroying ourselves and many living things on Earth. But is existential angst the best way to cope with this possibility, which is just one of many? Yes, destructive and hurtful attitudes persist in this world, often in subtle and insidious ways, and shouldn't be ignored. But we can do this without tearing ourselves up inside, or tearing down others. The average person of today leads a life of ease compared to the the average person of a century ago. We have the time on our hands and owe it to each other to figure this stuff out. But, this is just the opinion of someone who has definitely not figured it all out yet, so make of it what you will.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Let's not talk about people who are not here to defend themselves.
Not sure why this is relevant. Those two are not banned from this site. They just choose to not be part of this community. We talk about those not here all the time. Just in my brief morning visit today I see mention of MLK and The Angry Hiker. As long as the discussion follows posting guidelines (I'll leave that up to the moderators), we should be able to discuss, and learn from, the past. And while I have the gavel, I'll raise my hand as one of the those who's somewhat ill-informed about what phrases are, and are not, PC these days. Certainly some are obvious. But many less so. I had no idea about "many moons". Actually seems like such a grounded way to identify the past. What about holy cow, hold your horses, or others? Good thing I'm a bit of an introvert and somewhat quiet in public. Heck, my mom has been a quadriplegic for 52 years (since I was one), and we still use the term "handicapped" sometimes. Sure, we're aware that "disabled" is the preferred term de jour. But when you actually think about the two words, I'm not sure handicapped is more derogatory. Give it 10-20 years and the term disabled will probably fall out of fashion in favor of something else. I welcome the discussion and am sorry the original concerned poster was not inclined to use this as an educational opportunity. But others did, and I'm better for it. Now, back to dreaming up my weekend plans!

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 10:29 am 
Threads like this one are part of what makes NWHikers great. Opinion, disagreement. Offense taken, discourse, resolution (or not.) Injected levity. Philosophical rumination. And drift... Gosh, it's almost exactly like what happens when real people meet in real places - and have a real conversation.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Count me in as another naif who had no idea that the term "many moons" had pejorative cultural referents. I went back to read the context and the reaction. From the POV of the aggrieved, I guess this falls under what's now referred to as "micro-agressions". And you're guilty of of it based on the aggrieved's POV, not on your intent.
I suppose some see it that way. It's not how I see it. But once I learned that this phrase was viewed as pejorative by many people from the first nations, I decided it was an easy thing to strike from my own vocabulary. In order to, you know, ensure my discourse is reasonably civil... No anger from me at those who unkowingly continue to use it. Though I'll admit to a bit of a judgment on my part about those who learn that it's viewed as pejorative and then construct rationalizations for why it's OK to proceed with using it anyway. But not anger. More sadness I guess. Not big on the sadness scale either. Just fwiw. I can't speak for others and did see one person labelling it as "hate speech" who may indeed have picked up marbles to head home. There's always a bell curve of reactions to these sorts of things.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 11:42 am 
neek wrote:
Since this thread is already hopelessly weird and off-topic, I may as well inject some more randomness before it gets locked. The intent is to be positive and helpful, but since little goes uncriticized these days, apologies in advance. Please feel free to skip if you're only interested in the original subject. There are things you learn later in life that should be taught from an early age. One of these is that suffering is a state of mind. Without consciousness there can be no suffering. Whether it's physical pain or mental anguish, negative experience only gains meaning through the subjective lens of the mind. That is not to say these things aren't real, or can't be damaging. Consciousness is about as real as it gets (although this, too, is subject to debate). But the key realization is that your mind is one of the few things, if not the only thing, that you have control over. And like a muscle, it can be trained and improved. Anger has served an important purpose during the course of human evolution and continues to do so today, although to a lesser extent. Anger that leads to positive action, or improved relationships, is, I think, ultimately OK. But it doesn't need to result in long term emotional distress. Once you learn to recognize negative emotions when they arise and observe their physiological effects objectively, you gain great power over them. This is not easy and requires much practice, patience, and open-mindedness. But it's worth it. People have figured this stuff out and you don't have to subscribe to any organized religion to make it work, although beware of charlatans. What inspired me to write this was the earlier comment "I'm tired and lost and have no hope for the future". That, to me, is an unnecessarily bleak view of the world that is purely internal and can be overcome. It is true, we may be on the path to destroying ourselves and many living things on Earth. But is existential angst the best way to cope with this possibility, which is just one of many? Yes, destructive and hurtful attitudes persist in this world, often in subtle and insidious ways, and shouldn't be ignored. But we can do this without tearing ourselves up inside, or tearing down others. The average person of today leads a life of ease compared to the the average person of a century ago. We have the time on our hands and owe it to each other to figure this stuff out. But, this is just the opinion of someone who has definitely not figured it all out yet, so make of it what you will.
Tell this to the Native American Child who's mother (that was sexually assaulted more than once) is addicted to opiates. Who's grandparents died young of alcoholism. Tell that child trying to swim through a beginning that's nothing but negativity and suffering and odds stacked against them that suffering is just a state of mind. Tell them middle class white males can't be bothered to think before they speak or type. Tell them that your joke is more important than the dignity of their culture. You are all looking at this through your lens of privilege.

philfort

philfort
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Heck, my mom has been a quadriplegic for 52 years (since I was one), and we still use the term "handicapped" sometimes. Sure, we're aware that "disabled" is the preferred term de jour. But when you actually think about the two words, I'm not sure handicapped is more derogatory. Give it 10-20 years and the term disabled will probably fall out of fashion in favor of something else.
I'm not sure if this was a joke or not, but "disabled" is already seen as offensive. "Differently-abled" is the preferred term now.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Heck, my mom has been a quadriplegic for 52 years (since I was one), and we still use the term "handicapped" sometimes. Sure, we're aware that "disabled" is the preferred term de jour. But when you actually think about the two words, I'm not sure handicapped is more derogatory. Give it 10-20 years and the term disabled will probably fall out of fashion in favor of something else
I don't understand why people find certain terms so "offensive" when the two terms mean exactly the same thing, it's just a word after all, not an action. confused.gif It seems that many people are overly sensitive about things that don't really matter in the big picture, why not focus on things that really matter and that one has control over? One can play the victim card all they want and complain about things they cannot change (other people) or they can focus on the positive and on things that they can change and things that are more important. Sure, certain races have been treated horribly in the past, but much progress has been made and the past cannot be undone, so why not focus on the positive and work to change the things they can? I venture to guess that no matter how much progress is made, some people will always complain, feel sorry for themselves, be angry toward others, and play the "victim card". These are not positive things and will not work toward advancing their cause, but will continue to cause divisive feelings.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm 
philfort wrote:
I'm not sure if this was a joke or not, but "disabled" is already seen as offensive. "Differently-abled" is the preferred term now.
It depends how it is said. The person is suppose to come first... ie, a person with a disability. This might not seem like much to people who have not experienced disabilities first hand, their own or people close to them but it can be pretty all consuming. Your whole life revolves around it. Medical appointments, accomadations, limitations... It swallows them up. Its dehumanizing. The first thing people see is a wheel chair or crutches or a cane or service dog or hear difficulty speaking or whatever it is... people want to be a person first. A person using a wheel chair. A person with impaired vision.... Again, is it really a huge thing to ask? Really? Is it hard to refer to people how they would prefer? Can you imagine how it would feel to be called a wheelchair? Or a downs syndrome person? Think about it. Be thankful for what you have. It's not terribly hard.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 1:07 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
philfort wrote:
It depends how it is said. The person is suppose to come first... ie, a person with a disability. This might not seem like much to people who have not experienced disabilities first hand, their own or people close to them but it can be pretty all consuming. Your whole life revolves around it. Medical appointments, accomadations, limitations... It swallows them up. Its dehumanizing. The first thing people see is a wheel chair or crutches or a cane or service dog or hear difficulty speaking or whatever it is... people want to be a person first. A person using a wheel chair. A person with impaired vision.... Again, is it really a huge thing to ask? Really? Is it hard to refer to people how they would prefer? Can you imagine how it would feel to be called a wheelchair? Or a downs syndrome person? Think about it. Be thankful for what you have. It's not terribly hard.
Do you really think that a person who is disabled to that level actually worries about a term that is mildly (if at all) offensive? I would think they have bigger problems to address and worry about.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
Heck, my mom has been a quadriplegic for 52 years (since I was one), and we still use the term "handicapped" sometimes. Sure, we're aware that "disabled" is the preferred term de jour. But when you actually think about the two words, I'm not sure handicapped is more derogatory. Give it 10-20 years and the term disabled will probably fall out of fashion in favor of something else
I don't understand why people find certain terms so "offensive" when the two terms mean exactly the same thing, it's just a word after all, not an action. confused.gif It seems that many people are overly sensitive about things that don't really matter in the big picture, why not focus on things that really matter and that one has control over? One can play the victim card all they want and complain about things they cannot change (other people) or they can focus on the positive and on things that they can change and things that are more important. Sure, certain races have been treated horribly in the past, but much progress has been made and the past cannot be undone, so why not focus on the positive and work to change the things they can? I venture to guess that no matter how much progress is made, some people will always complain, feel sorry for themselves, be angry toward others, and play the "victim card". These are not positive things and will not work toward advancing their cause, but will continue to cause divisive feelings.
No. Very few two words mean the same thing. Tons of factors are at play like historical use, where the word came from, etc. I could say I'm going to go cut up some bundles of fire wood and everyone would know exactly what I mean. Or I could say I was going to go cut up some faggots... I could say I teach retards. Or I could say I teach children with learning and developmental disabilities... Words matter. A lot. As for the "victim card" what about people who are victims? What are they suppose to do? Just shut up about it?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 1:37 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Do you really think that a person who is disabled to that level actually worries about a term that is mildly (if at all) offensive? I would think they have bigger problems to address and worry about.
Almost certainly they do have more critical issues to deal with... but having other people use dismissive or denigrating language is like adding rocks to their backpack. Why do know nothings think it is an unbearable burden to be thoughtful and kind in the words that come from their mouth? Why is being lazy and ignorant seen as something worth defending?