Forum Index > Trail Talk > Maui Suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jcocci

jcocci
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 10:19 am 
I am going to be in Maui for work first week of February and will have a full day off (also some half days). Looking for any suggestions for a hike if you only had one day to hike. Have done some looking and lots of options, but hard to pick one. I will have a car. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 10:36 am 
Two of my favorites (from 10 years ago so YMMV): 1. Drive to Kaupo on the SE side of the island and hike into the crater through Kaupo Gap. This is a bit epic, especially if you go all the way to the summit (30 mi and 9000'), and I'm not sure how accessible it is these days. 2. Hoapili Trail (King's Highway). Flat but surprisingly pretty and uncrowded. Go as far as you like.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 4:06 pm 
Just get the guidebook called "Maui Revealed" on Amazon serious its all you need

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 4:12 pm 
You don't say where you'll be staying on Maui....I love Haleakala but you'd eat a lot of time getting up there. On West Maui, try the O'hai trail on the north end. + one for looking at Maui Revealed which will direct you to a number of great hiking options. ( and other great options too like great eats....) I love the Kipahulu area too and the hike up from '7 Sacred Pools' up to a lovely waterfall is fine but again, it's on the east end of the island. Hope you have a great time whereever, alohas! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 pm 
Another vote for Maui Revealed. Many locals hate this guidebook series but it gives great tips on recreation, food, etc. Well worth the minimal cost. Yeah it's a long way up Haleakala. We enjoyed spending a few nights in the "crater" (at the camp near the bottom of I think the HaleMau'u trail) and I really enjoyed the time at camp as well as spending a day wandering some of the trails in the "crater" (not really a crater) at our leisure on the middle day. But it is a time sink to do an outing like this. I enjoyed the King's trail along the shore near Waianapanapa (sp?) park out in Hana which among other things had some very fun waterspouts, and the Seven Sacred Pools hike. It's a long and somewhat tedious drive out there so probably not worth it unless you'll be spending a few nights out there, IMO.

ScottP

ScottP
PostFri Jan 25, 2019 6:55 pm 
https://www.backpacker.com/trips/makena-hi-laperouse-bay-and-hoapili-trail I second Hoapili. Lots of room to roam on this one.

jcocci

jcocci
PostSat Jan 26, 2019 10:39 am 
Thanks for all the input guys. That gives me some good options to look at. Will be staying at Grand Wailea and have a car. Was looking at 7 Pools but not sure I want to that drive for a day.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm 
Wanted to drop in here with one more suggestion. If you're in Wailea, you could drive to the end of the road south of you to La Perouse. There, you could walk the coast south and east along an old 4 wheel drive road to navigation lights there and isolated beaches where usually only fisherman go. La Perouse is where Maui's last eruptions were ( in the 1790s) and the lava looks almost new. If you're a snorkeler, there is some fantastic diving to be done down there at "The Aquarium" ( again, see Maui Revealed for details.) The walk south of La Perouse will demand good footwear...lots of sharp lava there and not a place for flip flops! eek.gif Have a great time and let us know where you get to. cool.gif oops...read the thread again and see that this has been suggested....well....go anyway! up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
jcocci

jcocci
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 5:53 pm 
Thanks. I think that one made the list to do on one of my half days. At the moment for my full day off I am leaning towards the Seven Sacred Pools. Anyone driven there going the other way? Meaning counter clockwise and not the 600 switchback way. I have heard mixed things about that drive.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 pm 
jcocci wrote:
Thanks. I think that one made the list to do on one of my half days. At the moment for my full day off I am leaning towards the Seven Sacred Pools. Anyone driven there going the other way? Meaning counter clockwise and not the 600 switchback way. I have heard mixed things about that drive.
I haven't been there in 10 years but the road was always fine for passenger cars. If you go that way check out the petroglyphs at Nuu Landing (locally known as Plenty Kiawe)