Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snoqualmie pass common corridor
Previous :: Next Topic  
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff

Ramen Elitist
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I've heard second hand references to something called the Common Corridor near Snoqualmie pass but I can't find any official references or maps showing it. Anyone know what and where it is?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 12:46 pm 
The common corridor is part of the special use permit for the Summit Nordic center.  Signage is hard to find anymore as the summit has gotten lazy about putting them up.

The common corridor follows the summit groomed xc trail from near the "iron horse" trail to "windy pass" 

To use it ski the state groomed xc trail from the Hyak snow park to about a 1/2 mile before the cold creek bridge.  Look for blue diamonds marking the trail on the right.  Climb steeply through the woods following blue diamonds until you intersect the summit nordic center "cold creek" groomed trail.  Follow that to "windy pass"  the summit nordic center staff should not be checking for tickets on that section. 

Beyond "windy pass"  the traditional route to Silver Peak is to climb directly west up the clearcuts, through a short section of forest to enter the north east basin of silver.

IME Ticket checking on the summit nordic center trails is most common around "grand junction"   (I typically have an alpine seasons pass, which also good for the nordic trails.)
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
garyw
Occasional Member

garyw

Occasional Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 5:22 pm 
RandyHiker is basically correct.  The Common Corridor ends at the Nordic Pass Trail just short of Windy Pass.  I helped develop the Nordic Pass Trail and was monitoring the Forest Service documents at the time the Common Corridor was adopted.  The Common Corridor provides the public access to Nordic Pass and Silver Peak without requiring a trail pass from the ski area.

The Common Corridor was documented in the Environmental Assessment for the Hyak/SkiAcres Master Plan Revision and Trail Construction, November 1991 in the Mitigation part of Section III E. Recreation, Page 39.
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff

Ramen Elitist
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 pm 
That sort of clears things up. Most of my confusion is because most of the landmarks mentioned in various descriptions are not defined on government maps. I just happened to know what windy pass was but the rest of these seem to be local names.

I was just out skiing the PCT south from Snoqualmie pass/summit west and came across this whole circuit of trails, half of which were not on my map.

The only reason I know about this is because I did indeed find an "end of common corridor" sign at windy pass on FS9070.

I still don't see the trail between Hyak and the "start" of the corridor (where the John Wayne meets fs9070/cold Creek).
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 9:41 pm 
Here is where the route leaves the "iron horse" to head up the woods.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/mhMGCx7beKWKhBOcBsoXusIn

And here is where it joins the nordic center "cold creek" groomed xc trail / road 9070

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/fUeMEJsroOyeEvm7zTya4AD8
ChinookPass

ChinookPass

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 am 
Thanks for the info, RandyHiker!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snoqualmie pass common corridor
  Happy Birthday Damian, chefothefuture, Dogman, ridgescrambler, Bryan K, Eaglecadd!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: