Forum Index > Trail Talk > 4-5 day trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kvpair

kvpair
PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:33 am 
Hi all, I was hoping that I'd get your feedback and suggestions on a couple of backpack trips for this summer (getting prepared early). Trip A: With the boys in early August ------------------------------------------------ a) We'll be 4 people and are trying to find a trip that isn't crowded. Currently we were thinking of doing the ALHR (Alpine Lakes High Route) since that has been on the cards for a while and driving from Redmond (where we all are) is easy. b) Could the collective suggest other alternatives to research? c) Are there GPX's and/or route descriptions for the route from Big Heart Lake -> Chetwoot -> Tank Lakes? GPX will be ideal of course. Trip B: With my 8 year old: Early/Mid July ------------------------------------------------------- I also try to do another trip with by 8 year old. He is good for about about 8 miles and 2500 ft (with pack). Last year we went to Meander Meadows - buggy, beautiful. Suggestions will be welcomed for a 2 nighter. Last year, based on suggestions here, we did Athelney Pass in BC for Trip A (as opposed to Garibaldi Lake) and it was one of the most spectacular hikes I've ever done. thanks kv

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 am 
My favorite 4 day trip was NF Sauk->pilots ridge->white pass-> Lake Byrne->Lost Creek Ridge loop. We did it in four days. Great scenery and you are up high almost the whole time. Next would be Buck Creek pass to Spider gap with side trip of Image lake. Lots of wildlife. Third is an out and back. Bachelor meadows and cub lake with a trip down to Itswoot lake. Great fishing at itswoot with huge cutthroat. And I've never seen more bears than I did up here one year. We saw 5 bears in 3 days. Have fun and let us know what you pick.

none
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 am 
C) there are various descriptions from folks on old reports and discussion on this site, and there's the description in the Beckey guide. Part of the adventure of this one is not having too clear a dotted line to follow IMO and if one GPX track starts getting followed more distinct social trails up there will certainly ensue. If you have navigation tools and skill and decent sense you'll be fine with the descriptions. Edited to add: from reports I've been seeing the last two summers, I think this is not as lonesome as it used to be, fwiw. There are other options in the general area that aren't "named" routes but that would likely have an even higher probability of solitude. Map study will suggest notions... The Buck/Spider area and thereabouts is pretty killer for sure. Plenty of "route" options off the mail trails too for those who want such things.Maybe even the old Phelps Ridge trail/ high route still goes ;-)

kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm 
Quote:
there are various descriptions from folks on old reports and discussion on this site, and there's the description in the Beckey guide. Part of the adventure of this one is not having too clear a dotted line to follow IMO and if one GPX track starts getting followed more distinct social trails up there will certainly ensue. If you have navigation tools and skill and decent sense you'll be fine with the descriptions. Edited to add: from reports I've been seeing the last two summers, I think this is not as lonesome as it used to be, fwiw. There are other options in the general area that aren't "named" routes but that would likely have an even higher probability of solitude. Map study will suggest notions...
Thanks. I did not know about the ALH in the Beckey guide. We went to Spider -> Lyman -> Buck Creek a couple of years ago, but wildfires meant that the views were gone. But was beautiful. In terms of the ALH, it was the exit from Chetwoot that seemed a bit dodgy. I've been exploring the route with Google Earth to get a mental picture.

kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm 
Quote:
My favorite 4 day trip was NF Sauk->pilots ridge->white pass-> Lake Byrne->Lost Creek Ridge loop. We did it in four days. Great scenery and you are up high almost the whole time.
Will take a look, thanks a lot for the suggestion. Will absolutely let folks know. Did you have any suggestions for a 2-nighter with an 8 year old? About 7-8 miles and 2K feet is the ceiling, I think.....

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 29, 2019 7:59 pm 
kvpair wrote:
In terms of the ALH, it was the exit from Chetwoot that seemed a bit dodgy. I've been exploring the route with Google Earth to get a mental picture.
I don't recall that as being dodgy to tell the truth - i.e. getting from Chetwoot's outlet area toward Iron Cap Lake or Azure/Azurite. Yes it's off trail navigation but the terrain was pretty easy to follow IMO. OTOH getting form the outlet to the little saddle above Camp Robber Creek - that's a major brush PITA bushwhack. But your described route would not have you going there, fwiw... We went the low route across toward Tanks - i.e. via Azure Azurite so I can't speak directly to the challenge of finding the correct ledges to get from Iron Cap Lake (which we did hit on a dayhike from Chetwoot, along with a sub peak of Iron Cap) but my thought would be that a GPS track would only get you in the ballpark anyway and on the ground judgment is as usual going to be paramount.

kvpair

kvpair
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am 
Thanks a lot, @joker. Time for more research!