Forum Index > Trail Talk > Resources for international backpacking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woodchips

woodchips
PostTue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 pm 
Hi all, We’re a family that does a lot of backpacking (mostly in the North Cascades) and international travel, and looking to start combining the two. Our kids are 5 and 8, and accomplished backpackers (up to 8mi and 5000’ days work at this point. I’m interested in hearing suggestions for overseas trips that might include traditional backpacking, hut to hut hiking, or hiking between towns/villages. Ideally, we’d do stuff that is relatively un-crowded, cheap, and able to be done without a guide (but negotiable on this point.) With some quick homework, some possible areas that sound interesting are: -Turkey, Lycian way? -Northern India -Patagonia -Scotland (Bothies) -Pyranees (Andorra?) -Balkans -Asia? We’ve been to SE Asia a bit with the kids, and loved it, but it doesn’t seem like the spot for this type of trip. Maybe elsewhere in Asia? I’m less interested in Australia and New Zealand (would prefer places less like home language/culture wise.) Would love to hear some suggestions and/or resources for more info (blogs, sotes like this, FB groups, etc.) Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 am 
Did you see this recent NY Times piece on the bothies? (Since you mentioned Scotland). I always felt safe in Chilean Patagonia, but never backpacked there. Last visit was too long ago to provide any useful beta. The people in Punta Arenas were great.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 am 
Here is some info for trips in Nahuel Huapi National Park in Argentina which has a good trail system and huts. There is info for other areas in northern Patagonia too. This area is very similar to our Cascades and doesn't have the high frequency of wild weather of southern Patagonia. https://trekbariloche.com And for hikes around El Bolson a bit further south. https://trekelbolson.com I've hiked/backpacked/climbed in both areas and recommend it. Consider Bolivia and Peru too which have some good high altitude trekking circuits.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 10:57 am 
woodchips wrote:
-Asia? We’ve been to SE Asia a bit with the kids, and loved it, but it doesn’t seem like the spot for this type of trip. Maybe elsewhere in Asia?
An idea: Japan Alps, and up in Hokkaido. I have hiked in the Alps there, but not backpacked, but it would seem to be a good place. There is also gear and supplies for backpacking in Japan because backpacking / hiking is popular there and people have the $$ and leisure time to do it. There are also great lodging options in the mountain villages there for when you get back from your trip, and of course transportation (esp. trains). And what a great country and culture to experience.

woodchips

woodchips
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 pm 
Thanks, all. These all seem like great suggestions. As I think about priorities, the Patagonia options seem to make a lot of sense as we could do them in the off season here (Scotland and Japan sound great, but I imagine those are summer options, when I’d prefer to stay in the north Cascades and head south in the winter!)

Songs2

Songs2
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm 
I believe Japan is good in September and October, and Scotland in May (before the midges).

woodchips

woodchips
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:18 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
I believe Japan is good in September and October, and Scotland in May (before the midges).
Ok, you have my interest now in both of those places! Thanks.

mike

mike
PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
Scotland in May (before the midges).
Yep. We'll be there this May.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 31, 2019 12:21 pm 
GR 20 in Corsica looks worthy

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 pm 
Camino de Santiago in the spring or fall. It's not backpacking per se, in that it is unnecessary to carry overnight gear, cooking gear or even more than a few snacks. It's more like going for a long day hike every day and then eating a nice meal and drinking some nice local wine. In 2014 "dorm" type accommodations and 3 course pilgrim's dinner typically ran under 15 euros, a private room for 2 maybe 40.

Songs2

Songs2
PostFri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am 
A site I like to explore for ideas is MacsAdventure: https://www.macsadventure.com/us/# The itineraries put together by this commercial outfitter and planner are detailed enough that one can basically set up the trip for oneself, with the caution that occasionally there is only one lodging within 20 miles, and it will book up well in advance.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 01, 2019 8:08 am 
mike wrote:
Yep. We'll be there this May.
Is that a compact Tardis? they are larger inside

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
EJ

EJ
PostFri Feb 01, 2019 1:13 pm 
Here are 4 that I've done that I really enjoyed: Torres del Paine in Southern Chile (I did the W circuit) Tour du Mont Blanc - stayed in a combination of huts/refugios/rustic hotels Arctic Circle trail in Greenland - you can stay in the rustic huts (no reservations) or camp. I camped most of the time. If you're looking for uncrowded, this one delivers. Part of the Anapurna Circuit in Nepal (guided tour, back before I had any outdoor experience) -------------------- I know you said no NZ or Australia, but I did the Overland Track in Tasmania this past November and it was pretty amazing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Abel Tasman Track in NZ (warm weather, sandy beaches, and blue, blue water.)