Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squak Mountain Nordic Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 04, 2019 8:09 pm 
Today we started at our house and skied up Wildwood to the Mountainside trailhead. From the trailhead we went up the Bullet Firplace trail to Issaquah Junction about a mile. Then we took the East Side Trail (née road) past the Old Griz junction dropping down to cross Crystal Creek and up to a junction with the East Ridge Trail. East Ridge Trail was steep and we were on Nordic skis with no metal edges. Continued down the trail to the junction with East Access Trail. Finally came out on Sunset TH. Continued up road to home. Around 7 mi. total high point 1500’ low point 300’. Gain unknown. 10” to 0.5” snow cover. Great fun ski in our backyard.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostMon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 pm 
Wow! We did a loop hike up and down the east ridge of Squak Mt on Saturday but I would never consider doing that loop on my nordic skis! https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/albums/72157706315245945 It was too icy this morning on Westhill to nordic ski around our hill top--though a few people walked the sidewalks on nordic skis. I might take my traction devices and hike that loop tomorrow, as a way to visit my local Starbucks.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:14 am 
The skis wouldn’t have made much difference. There was no ice and the trails too narrow to turn. Not enough snow and trees thick as hair on a dogs back made AT impractical. The uphill was pretty easy no skins required. Downhill on East Ridge was survival crouch most of the way. East side Trail travers and Bullet Firepace Trail were great on Nordic gear.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn