Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Baby It's Cold Outside"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 am 
I was just looking around on the NWS Observations Page at this rather cold airmass. In my younger years most years got down to 17F in a cold period of 4-5 days, essentially every winter. But periods like that have been much less frequent in recent years. However, today in Seattle the temperature was 18F at 7 am. Sumas yesterday in the middle of the Fraser outflow had a temperature range of -1F to 1F. Looking farther afield, the coldest air is currently just east of the Rockies from Edmonton and a couple hundred miles north and then east at about the same latitude into Saskatchewan. Banff is -36F, Edmonton about the same, but surrounding Edmonton there are a number of -40'sF and a single -50F. So, I was curious: Edmonton hit daily record lows of -46F in 2009 and 2017 at the least, with an alltime record of -56F in the 1880's. If you want to look at the current temperatures or recent ones, go this NWS page: Observations select "Observations" at the top of the page and then below in another box, select temperature from the scroll down list. You can then move the generated map around. Yesterday Williams Lake north of Kamloops had a low of -35F but apparently the coldest air has slid a bit east as it is warmer than that today. This may turn out to be one of Seattle's longest cold spells in recent memory as it may stay pretty cold into next week at least. But I wouldn't bank on the longer term forecast. It just looks like that might happen. When I was going to the University of Washington in the late 60's to 1971, I think 1968, Seattle had a 10 day period where it never got above 32F (record), and perhaps the same winter Seattle had it's greatest winter snowfall of 60 some inches. This time, though, low pressure areas would look to drop down the coast without, for now, much snowfall here. The Sierra Nevada are getting hammered and the wet weather will then pass through Arizona where it has been a very wet winter - super bloom - according to a friend who is now local to the SW. Baby It's Cold Outside But lest someone think there is no climate change, you need look no farther than Australia in December and January. The all-time Australian Continent record high temperature was set twice in a 10 day period at >49C. One Australian city (don't remember which from a press release) in that period had 5 of it's all-time warmest days in a ten day period. The odds of that happening with very old Australian weather records are something like 1/150 x 1/150 x 1/150 x 1/150 x 1/150 divided by a small number like 2 or 5 (I am not a statistician). But the random probability of that happening is on the order of 1 in 67 billion divided by that small number.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 am 
Are you forgetting 2016/17 winter? That winter was absolutely frigid. I'm not denying climate change. It's real, but people seem to have a really short memory about weather...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:20 am 
Around Christmas in 1968 was the really cold one. -24 in Wenatchee. -51 in Mazama. We had lots of snow with it. The Weather Channel was not around to preach fear so we kids played outside until feet went numb, then went back inside to thaw out....repeat. I am thinking that 1978/79 set a record of some kind. I was a liftie at a ski area and it got pretty bad for a while. Right now it is 9 degrees outside with a lot less wind than yesterday. Yesterday we had 40mph gusts and it was pretty wild, and cold at 8 degrees. A guy at orchestra said he had -8 at his house. I think he lives up and out of Tonasket. I plan to go on my usual walk. Yesterday, I had to stop in and get my Antifa covering and then shortened my walk. The wind was sucking out my will to live. Poop little dog, poop quickly and be done!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Are you forgetting 2016/17 winter? That winter was absolutely frigid. I'm not denying climate change. It's real, but people seem to have a really short memory about weather...
It depends. I was living on the wet side and I didn't consider it to be very cold, but it was annoying because the snow started to melt, then froze and stayed frozen for about a week. I had to get around wearing shoe chains and did not want to drive on the ice so just stayed home. The ice layer was a couple inches thick on my road and parking area.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Yes, it was a cold winter (2017) but still lacked the big extremes. In answer to your comment, I found this: massive cold outbreak

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm 
I remember being a little boy at that time in 1968 and the great blizzard that year and all the fun we had sledding and playing in the snow (no school for a whole week!). Nice to have some snow back this year...

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm 
When I was little we had waist deep snow.

"May you live in interesting times"
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 4:20 pm 
When I was a kid, I remember smearing vaseline on my face to block the wind (I can't remember if it worked; it was an idea I had). It had snowed so much while at a friend's house, it was too deep to walk very far. Went back to freind's house and called mom to see if I could stay at friend's' house. Nothing doing, says mom (my folks wanted us home during any disaster or potential. Didn't matter what it was. Why, I remember the time...wait, I digress..). Halfway home from friend's house, I crawled into a large cement culvert that was staged at a construction site, to get warm. And I was glad to have that cement culvert, too. Waist deep in snow, both coming and going. And we had to gnaw on our own sheep to get the skin soft enough to etch our homework on, using ostrich quills from ostriches we raised ourselves.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm 
Well guys, mine was a true story....nobody else out there remember that big storm? My recollection was about 18 inches dumped on us in Ballard that year (I don稚 think it was waist deep though dizzy.gif ) and we did miss a week of school as it stayed cold all week. Seems like the storm in the late 80s was as big and cold?

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 pm 
Dadfly's comment might be true, as he prefaced it with "when I was little". Waist deep on a toddler might be shin deep on an adult.

neek

neek
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 6:11 pm 
All I can say is that if school is closed yet again tomorrow, I'm going to be irritated. Isn't this why the buses have snow routes? Totally messing up my hiking plans...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm 
mINE WAS true, too, except for the gnawing on sheep and ostrich quills.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 6:27 pm 
neek wrote:
All I can say is that if school is closed yet again tomorrow, I'm going to be irritated. Isn't this why the buses have snow routes? Totally messing up my hiking plans...
Snow routes are helpful, but not a 100% fix. Took me 3 hours on 2 buses today, one on a snow route. This is down from probably 6 hours yesterday (I stayed home). People just need to chill a few days every other year or so. We will get through this.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 pm 
I hate that song!!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 pm 
It warmed up to 20 here today and the wind was a bit less, but wearing the Antifa hat underneath another hat was a good thing. Tomorrow it says the high will be 26! It hasn't even been snot freezing cold yet.