Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you watching on Youtube?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 8:50 pm 
How Kubrick Made 2001: A Space Odyssey A 6-part series of videos detailing the making of one of Kubrick's many masterpieces. Since first seeing this movie at the Cinerama Theater in downtown Seattle in 1968 when it was first released, I have probably watched it (or at least listened to the marvelous soundtrack) at least a few hundred times. These videos addressed some of the questions I've had about the story in the movie, as well as questions about how it was made. The book, unfortunately, wasn't much help when it came to "explaining" what was going on at the end of the film. total run time is just over two hours for all six videos. Karajan's conducting of the Strauss waltz has been a favorite of mine since I received the soundtrack album as a Christmas present in 1968:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 5:19 pm 
Hey that is way cool. Thanks!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm 
^ After watching that entire series I spent some time watching some of that YouTube poster's other offerings, and I think the 2001: a space odyssey is probably the best he has to offer. .... and who knew there were no fewer than five different versions of "Bladerunner" released? dizzy.gif .... whoever came up with the idea for the voice-over version (of Bladerunner) should have suffered a lifetime ban from Hollywood and the movie industry.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:08 pm 
Me, I think that honor should be at least shared with whoever came up with Sharknado

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jan 28, 2019 12:45 pm 
"Professionals for a Massacre" (1967) ("Professionisti per un Massacro") George Hilton, George Martin, and Edd ("Kookie") Byrnes Classic Italian made Spaghetti Western - 89 minutes of explosions, gunfights, and overdubbed dialog. IMdB rating 5.8

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 28, 2019 3:31 pm 
More grist for the stair mill! thanks! I'll get on that one after I finish Swamp Thing. Watched two episodes of the 2001 docu, that guy did great.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 28, 2019 8:08 pm 
Hey, Ski - thanks for the 2001 A Space Odyssey post. It's amazing the realism he was able to achieve despite no CGI, eh? Now, for something completely different ... A threat you never heard of - <edit - original youtube link broken b/c account holder was deleted- found again at link below> Mega-tsunami: Wave of Destruction The story begins with some details of a "miniature" mega-tsunami that happened in Lituya Bay, AK in the 50's. Wow! eek.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 pm 
Makes me think it might not be safe to camp near some of these large mountain lakes. Like Big Heart Lake for example.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 pm 
restep wrote:
Makes me think it might not be safe to camp near some of these large mountain lakes.
I dunno. What happened at Lituya was a freakish rarity, but "stuff" is always happening out there in all seasons. This horrific event in BC a few years ago really shocked me; wasn't even an avy, just one big rock falling (unusual in winter, I believe), almost with aimed precision. I think of those people every time I'm lying on my favorite rock under the Big Four cliffs, watching the waterfalls while the daredevils take their chances in the ice caves.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Feb 02, 2019 12:07 pm 
My two favorites: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS4LBgyn1WLSojiQI4aPjtg https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVVAnxQ2YMC_qlc7QfPA2YQ

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 pm 
Appropriate for current and recent weather: Winter Wind If the first few notes don't get you shivering, the rest will!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am 
Haunting and magnificent

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 10:54 am 
Speaking of Antarctica - and perfect for this week's freezebox weather - Nova's "Secrets Beneath the Ice" - best doc I've seen on Antarctic geology & glaciology.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm 
2016 version of 50's style b movie

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 3:37 pm 

don't believe everything you think