Forum Index > Trail Talk > Youth group backpacking at Dosewallips tonight! Should I be concerned?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 8:48 pm 
I just got back from the Dosewallips. A youth wilderness outreach group was going in to camp at the old ranger station 6.5 miles in, I passed them at the falls. They looked like they were packed for a long trip. They said they spent their first night at Elkhorn about 2.5 miles in. I hope they are okay. They were unaware of the weather forecast for lots of snow and they did not have snowshoes. I don't know how long they plan on camping, they claimed they were not allowed to say in front of the kids. That seemed odd to me. They were moving really slow. I wish them well and I hope they get out before the big snow hits. In a real big snow they will have a heck of a time getting out of there with no snowshoes. They had about six teen kids with them. As slow at they were moving, I wonder what kind of hiking condition the kids were in. I don't know how concerned I should be about this. I told them the weather forecast and they thanked me. I told them that if the predicted snow came they might not be able to make it out without snowshoes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 pm 
RR, I would be concerned. Did you get the name of the group or where they came from? Just for your peace of mind, it wouldn’t hurt to check with the closest park rangers and see if they are aware of this group. If they aren’t in the park, then I would just call the sheriff with my concerns. ( See page 6 of my post from last October, “The last northbound PCT thru hiker” in TrailTalk.)

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 pm 
They are in Olympic National Park. Maybe I will call them in the morning then. I don't know the name of the group. About six teens, boys and girls and two adults. They were moving really slow. They did not have vehicles waiting for them at the trail head, so they must have been dropped off. This is the forecast for where they are: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-123.1702136993408&lat=47.73782257959519#.XF0kLVVKibg One of the leaders said something about them having a hot water tub to keep warm. The group leader I talked to claimed that he was not allowed to say where they were going or for how long. They did not have snowshoes.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:44 pm 
The fact that the adult leaders were unaware of the impending storm is a big red flag.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 am 
Nancyann wrote:
The fact that the adult leaders were unaware of the impending storm is a big red flag.
Yeah, and the "can't say in front of the kids" part? A bit odd perhaps? And maybe I read and intreperted this incorrectly, but a hot tub to keep warm - where? I hope I don't read about them here other than they all got out of the forest ok.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 11:18 am 
That has the hallmarks of "youth school" to help wayward angry teens, and those places are well known for abusing children. PLEASE report them and tell them it bothered you. They may well have no permits either.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:09 pm 
Well, food days. Most people don't go out for 4 or 5 days. Not even adults. Takes time for all the food. I don't think they will need snowshoes on the way out. Not the way this storm goes. Following that road is piece of cake...although there can be a lot of cotton with that group. Shoes are probably not up to snuff either. So if they were out Wednesday Night, and now Thursday night, and Friday night...probably Saturday night. They will probably come out Sunday is my guess. 4-5 days worth of food. Maybe they will come out Saturday. You can't do anything. Sounds like everyone was there voluntarily.

Art is an adventure.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 pm 
Stefan wrote:
You can't do anything.
Yes, a person can. They can choose to report something that doesn't seem right - in this case to the ONP. If the ONP notes it seems odd, they will deal with it.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:00 pm 
I bet they have a policy not tell strangers about their camping plans in case the person is child snatcher or serial killer or something like that. Maybe if a wear a hockey mask when I hike people will leave me alone

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 4:48 pm 
I let the National Park know that the group was in there. They are checking to see if they had a permit that detailed their plans.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
I bet they have a policy not tell strangers about their camping plans in case the person is child snatcher or serial killer or something like that. Maybe if a wear a hockey mask when I hike people will leave me alone
Nice try. They told me their camping plans for that night, they could not tell the kids their plans.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 5:03 pm 
I am not sure you even need a permit to camp at the Dose Campground. It is not backcountry and the entire trip in is on a road. If the base camp at Dose Campground then they probably aren't on any register. And if they were dropped off they don't need any permit for that as well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 pm 
I would say it's a personal decision, minding one's own business and having the authorities check on them are both viable options. Myself I would normally just go on my way without much afterthought, although it would depend upon the circumstances.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I am not sure you even need a permit to camp at the Dose Campground. It is not backcountry and the entire trip in is on a road. If the base camp at Dose Campground then they probably aren't on any register. And if they were dropped off they don't need any permit for that as well. Rumi
True, no permit required there, but they might be going farther in. Would be nice to know their itinerary.. I would not want to be out there tonight or trying to hike out of there with no snowshoes right now. A pass is not required to park there. They are probably required to have a permit to conduct their commercial business in the park though. If it is the group I think it is they charge $495 per day per kid.