Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic National Park Advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BC knip

BC knip
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 4:07 pm 
Hi, my friend and I are moderately experienced backpackers from Vancouver island. We are looking for a 4-5 day alpine trip in the Park...since we look at it all day from Victoria we figure we should probably get over there. I've been scouring the maps of the area and there are tons of options. I'm looking for recommendations on the best of the best. Our rough parameters: 1. We are fine in the backcountry, can navigate and outhouses/tent pads are not critical 2. We like to average about 5-6 hours a day, or, for us (close to 60 years old), about 7-10 miles a day 3. We prefer to not be around big crowds (I think 7 Lakes Basin is a big crowd area?) 4. Must include alpine. (if I could make it up Olympus that would be great, but I suspect too much snow/glacier for a late July summit) 5. Steepness not a major issue, but we do not have technical climbing skills 6. We are planning 27 July - 1 August Any info appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
geyer

geyer
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm 
Most of the Olympic alpine areas require long approaches in the forest, but you might be interested in O'neil pass or Gladys & flapjack lakes

BC knip

BC knip
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:31 pm 
I don't mind long approaches or otherwise. Was looking at Gladys Divide today. Also came across some trailhead shuttle services so maybe I can swing a thru hike. I'm looking for beauty, really. Was looking at Hoh river up to Blue Glacier, and Bogachiel river and then around the divide? or out towards Carrie mtn on that divide route? Also Gladys. And a place called Enchantment Meadows or something? Royal Basin area looks good. smile.gif I've been reading maps. Am just trying to get a feel for the relative beauty and isolation of some of these hikes.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:25 pm 
Skyline, the divide between the N Fk Quinault, and Queets basins. Access from N Fk Quinault trailhead. I’d go as clockwise loop, but I’ve not been on the Skyline in decades. More recent travelers’ opinions might be better. Hmm. Maybe other opposite direction would have some advantage. Even getting on the 06:30 Coho sailing, you probably wouldn’t leave trailhead much before noon. There really aren’t much in the way of camping spots before Three Lakes. Not bad for a half day for many. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
BC knip

BC knip
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 4:30 am 
Hesman wrote:
Lost/Cameron/Graywolf Pass loop with Cedar Lake as part of loop and starting from Deer Park
This looks perfect. Thanks!

BC knip

BC knip
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm 
On second look I think that's just a bit more than we want for 5 days, especially considering day 1 will likely be a half day. We can do the mileage, I'm just not sure we want that much. We're looking at Deer Park down to 3 Forks, and then up Cameron Creek and up to Grand Pass, exploring and climbing as much of that area as we can. But I also read some off trail routes involving McCartney Peak that looks inviting. Maybe keep working up Cameron Creek to Cameron and Lost Pass area, and then go off trail taking ridges up to McCartney and rejoin trail by Gladys Lake. That might middle the distance between the two options and get is into Cameron/Lost Pass, which by all accounts, is a jewel.

silence

silence
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm 
Since you're leaning towards these ... Cameron/Lost/Hayden/Gray Wolf (we had planned to hit Cedar Lake, but passed by due to bad weather) https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961970 Pix from that trip: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33792231@N00/albums/72157606928489190 Lake Lillian XC/Cameron Pass/Lost Basin/Grand Pass https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11036 Pix from Cameron Ridge Traverse https://www.flickr.com/photos/33792231@N00/albums/72157679944686381

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
BC knip

BC knip
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm 
Thanks..yes, i've been working my way through the multitude of trip reports available here. I have to say the wealth of info here is amazing, compared to my Van Isle back country info. Although it can be fin to have little data, too. smile.gif

silence

silence
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:28 pm 
The traverse is off trail ... and not so ez at times. If you choose it read all the reports and the Olympic Climbers Guide: http://www.climbersguideolympics.com/traverses/dungenessdosewallips4 Also, there is a quota area in Grand Valley, with only 2 parties allowed per day at Lillian

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 3:09 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Lost Pass/Cameron Pass area or Lost/Cameron/Graywolf Pass loop with Cedar Lake as part of loop and starting from Deer Park. This my most favorite loop in the Olympics.
I will 2nd that this is a really nice loop in the Olympics and if you have time you could add in a night or two at Thousand Acre Meadows.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir