Forum Index > Trail Talk > "A Major Snowstorm Will Hit the Region Starting Late Friday"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 7:11 pm 
I have been periodically checking the weather radar via the map link below and 'ground truthing' it by looking out the window. Yes, some limited areas will have deep snow come the a.m. But I expect a large number of people in the greater Seattle area will wake up to 2 inches or less. BTW, US 2 up to Stevens Pass has been getting buried ever since the snow started. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.704250,-122.064251&zoom=9&basemap=USA_basemap&overlay=USA_weather_radar,ESRI_roads_and_labels&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/disaster/USA_rain_flood.txt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 pm 
The snow has started back up. It consists of tiny, light flakes. They are easily dispatched with a broom so far. The wind also is kicking up. It is now hard enough to make a whoosh through the spruce tree.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 pm 
The snow that fell Monday had sublimed and condensed to about 3” the snow that fell today seems to have replaced it and it is back up to the Monday level. The new snow is much more dense and almost slushy. The temperature has now fell to 31 and I assume the newer snow will be lighter. I noticed that NWAC has raised the warning level to HIGH as about 9” has fallen since 2pm. Be careful out there!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 pm 
Joey wrote:
BTW, US 2 up to Stevens Pass has been getting buried ever since the snow started.
9", but it's all air, equivalent to about 3" of our normal snow. This storm is not going to be much help to our SWE which is falling way behind normal. The backcountry skiers will love it though

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 am 
Just cleared the snow off the hot tub cover. I'd say about 9 inches here at 800 feet on Cougar Mountain. Super light and fluffy. Treacherous underneath. Took a minor tumble on the fist step out the door..

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 am 
We live at 250 ft elevation and this morning there is maybe 10" on our deck. Of course a person's view of snow is seen though the perspective of where they grew up - so says the guy from Minnesota. Below is a GISsurfer map that shows one of the NOAA radar layers. Here is the description of this data layer: https://new.nowcoast.noaa.gov/arcgis/rest/services/nowcoast/radar_meteo_imagery_nexrad_time/MapServer I discovered that this radar data does a remarkably good job of showing where it is snowing and how hard. I can 'ground truth' the data by looking out my window. Open the map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.704240,-122.064375&zoom=9&basemap=USA_basemap&overlay=USA_weather_radar,ESRI_roads_and_labels,County&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/disaster/USA_rain_flood.txt

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 am 
20 degrees with wind and the snow is blowing and drifting. My driveway is bare but there is a drift in the backyard. Can't tell how much snow we got. I think it is still snowing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 7:13 am 
This is a big deal!!! It looks like emergency outside!!! Lets not mince words. It has snowed HEAVILY. VERY THICK SNOWS ARE OUT THIS MORNING.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 8:56 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
This is a big deal!!!
Yes. I agree. Yesterday I shoveled snow off walks and stairs twice. Once around 2 pm and then later before dark. This morning I see that it all came back last night and is even deeper in places. One of our main arterials north and south had to be closed last night due to buses being stuck on hills. They had been de-iced and cleared in the afternoon. Here's a link with photos from around West Seattle. There are also power outages in places. It's going to be an interesting weekend. ~z

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 9:24 am 
timberghost

timberghost
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 9:38 am 
Surprised how good of condition highway 2 is in. Thanks to WDOT

mike

mike
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 am 
We totally missed out the first time. Sunny and cold. Yesterday we picked up 3" up here at the house (150') but maybe an inch in town at sea level. Last night a NE'er blew in with 25mph winds and higher gusts. No snow while the wind blows. What snow we have sublimes. We are in the "green zone" in the models for Tues so maybe another 2".

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 2:12 pm 
Joey wrote:
An instant classic. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1093721980329574409.html
"They just ate Howard Schultz" was my favorite line, bet he would taste bad.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 2:19 pm 
front yard 020919 01
front yard 020919 01

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Feb 09, 2019 2:35 pm 
Ski wrote:
front yard 020919 01
front yard 020919 01
I sent a note to my son telling him to go shake the snow off the trees so they don't all break when the next round of snow comes in. His reply: "YOU go out and do it!" What a pansy! lol.gif Especially for a kid who grew up in the snow and cold! Sounds like his mom, who also grew up here. agree.gif lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology