Forum Index > Trail Talk > "A Major Snowstorm Will Hit the Region Starting Late Friday"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 pm 
A surprise 7+ inches at my house on Orcas Island. Reports of a foot+ in other parts of the island. We largely missed out on the snow in the last two storms, so the pleas of the children must have been heard. It's still coming down. If this is the warmup for the whopper tomorrow...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 am 
Blizzard here in the Sultan foothills. Snow is so deep I could barely open the door to go out to the barn and feed the horses. What happened to El Nino, anyway?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 am 
Wow, supposed to snow there until Sunday! Glad I don't have to go anywhere, I can actually snowmobile to a little store a mile away for necessities like beer and milk. Commuters are going to be in for a rough week over there. We are probably going to get maybe 4-5" of powder here in N Idaho tonite.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RichP

RichP
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 am 
We've got a foot+ in Moscow. 6-8 inches yesterday and another 8 or so last night. I skied downtown for coffee yesterday. cool.gif

Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 am 
NancyAnn It appears that NOAA Climate Center has predicted above normal temperatures for Washington State. NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center has issued their outlook for January to March 2019, which still indicates patterns of a weak El Nino. Warmer than average temperatures are predicted across the West and Northern Plains. Colder than normal weather is predicted for the Tennessee Valley. From the Southeast to the Southwest, wetter than average weather is in the forecast. In the Ohio Valley and Pacific Northwest, below normal precipitation is predicted. The NOAA Climate Prediction Center website has a list of predictions. The NOAA Prediction made Jan 17, 2019 shows Wash State temperature to be above normal

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 am 
11 degrees and an inch maybe, of new. It looks like nice, light snow, no glop. Waterville is the Douglas County seat.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 am 
Didn't get much here in Priest Lake last night, the storms have been kinda going around us. I think we only have about 2' so far, going to take a bit to reach the 6' average. We need the snow to keep the fire danger down in summer. Saw on the news where a guy near Waterville went around a barricade and got stuck, his truck is now nearly completely buried. eek.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 am 
10" on the ground at my house in Spokane.* Nothing unusual or extraordinary about this except it is the first good snow of the season. We usually have something like this much earlier, when it does occur. *Some settling of contents may have occurred during shipping.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 am 
The difference in snow management methods between WA and OR is on stark display here in the Gorge. The far smaller, and poorer, Bingen/White Salmon WA side of the river still has bare/wet roadways even with the continuing snowfall and far fewer plows. Cross the bridge into Hood River, and the city streets are a hazardous mess. Deeply ice rutted roads even on the main streets, many side streets essentially closed, minimum 2" of snow and ice on the main roads, a semi truck stuck in mid intersection, two cars in ditches. I'll let you guess which cities are applying road treatments, and which are not.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm 
Blizzard of the day in the Sultan foothills 2/11/19
Blizzard of the day in the Sultan foothills 2/11/19

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 pm 
Lost power NE of Redmond about 6pm. Now on generator power for the 4th time this season. We are getting really good at wrangling cords. And (he says smugly) before the first flake fell on Friday I pre-positioned the generator under the deck and put a big sheet of heavy plastic on top of the deck to keep water off our power supply. Still snowing with 7-8 inches of heavy snow on the road. Looks like I will be plowing tomorrow unless it's raining. The good news is that our internet connection (Comcast) is alive and well.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 pm 
24 inches here as of 6pm and still snowing. huh.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm 
KJR, regarding the Pacific Madrone laying across my front yard wrote:
Ski, Unless you live in a wilderness area of Tacoma, I can stop by with my chainsaw if you need that cut up. Let me know. I work in Lakewood...
Only if you are wanting to cut it up and haul it off for firewood. Otherwise I will be one of the hundreds of people advertising free firewood on Craigslist next week when this melts off. Unfortunately my MS390 won't start and I'd prefer somebody else deal with it. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am 
Ski wrote:
Only if you are wanting to cut it up and haul it off for firewood.
Hey, Ski... PM sent your way. ~z

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 am 
My driveway slopes down to the garage which is the front part of my basement; had to shovel it out 5 times to prevent flooding once the rain starts. 36F on my patio therm right now, so the big melt has probably begun. It's been a rough couple of days on the backyard bamboo. Discovered that you can't adequately clear all the snow off your whole bamboo grove without getting completely pelted. Fun times. huh.gif
snowy bamboo
snowy bamboo
Did I mention that I shoveled out 5X? arrow.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood