Forum Index > Trail Talk > survival story about hiker benighted in the Columbia River Gorge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:02 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:25 pm 
Glad for the happy ending. Story says: "Before she slept fitfully, she was able to get a text out to her mother giving her rough location and saying she was injured and likely needed a rescue." Reminder: The first time you open FindMeSAR.com (I am the developer) you have to be online. But after you open it the first time, you can then open it anytime when you are offline. You can copy the coordinates and accuracy value produced by FindMeSAR and paste them into a text. The coding technique that lets it work offline is called appcache.

Vertec

Vertec
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 8:34 pm 
Also have been there a few times. Great views of Mount Hood from The Mount Defiance summit. But the summit itself is not very pristine due to all the communication equipment and maintenance road used to access it. It's a good climb, but I always had the "Why the $#!!**$ didn't I just drive up here" feeling dizzy.gif upon summiting. From the summit the trail descends through a boulder field and and patches of sparse tree cover. Where the trail meets continuous tree cover, it becomes hard to follow, even in the summer. Any snow cover would make that much more difficult. The tree line/boulder field 'boundary' seems to head directly toward the parking lot, so it can trick a descending hiker into believing they haven't regained the trail yet. Hope she recovers soon.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:35 pm 
Note the summary implication at the end...she did not have several of the ten essentials, including the old fashioned analog thingy which tells direction using magnetism, all by itself, battery free. the basics are basics for a reason.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 pm 
I have to say I had never heard of this alternative meaning of "benighted" until this post. So thanks!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 pm 
bet she takes the extra 8lb of food,stove, clothes and tarp from now on !! shakehead.gif

uww

uww
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
bet she takes the extra 8lb of food,stove, clothes and tarp from now on !! shakehead.gif
Not sure where the stove comes in, but it looks like she will be more prepared in the future.
the article wrote:
She should have brought a shelter and emergency blanket, she said, in addition to her SPOT satellite messenger, external battery charger, paper map and basic compass.

NWPhil

NWPhil
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 4:05 pm 
Glad she was found and is ok....but the most annoying thing is hearing the media saying she was an experienced hiker....yeah, going under-equiped with reports of a snow storm approaching

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 4:49 pm 
I found a pair of lost hikers in about the same place calling for help. They had a compass(not that you needed one, it was a sunny day and the columbia is hard to miss... oh and the sign on the trail...). Not sure how they managed to be lost... but i guess the couple of roads back there confuses people...