Forum Index > Trail Talk > "A Major Snowstorm Will Hit the Region Starting Late Friday"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 am 
Grrrr....major ice dam/gutter ice on my garage roof. Impressive array of icicles attacked with ice axe but hard to get aggressive swing on cold, snowy ladder. Ice is tough. Now I know why people climb on it. Gutter might be a goner; hope it leaves the fascia board, shingles, and soffetts alone. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 am 
I just checked Snoqualmie Pass and they're reporting about 4 feet in the last 36 hours. eek.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 am 
I-90 has been closed all night. Still is. Check out the road cameras. Some serious snow plowing is in order. Its 14 degrees up there. up.gif GLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOBAL Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrming...... hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I-90 has been closed all night. Still is. Check out the road cameras. Some serious snow plowing is in order. Its 14 degrees up there. up.gif GLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOBAL Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrming...... hockeygrin.gif
World hunger is fake, I had tacos last night. We have some bright people here. shakehead.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 am 
9+" at my house in Spokane since yesterday afternoon. now close to 20" on the ground. Some local in-town hills should be good skiing. The drops off of High Drive for starters. Anyone getting urban turns in the Seattle area?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am 
Finally getting dumped on here at Priest Lake, nearly a foot since last night and probably a total of 2-3 ' feet by the weekend. Luckily we have a neighbor guy who plows our driveway, but we don't really need to go anywhere anyway, we are retired.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am 
Mikey wrote:
Ever since I experienced my GMC 4x4 do a 360 degree trajectory when I attempted to turn north onto the Teanaway road from Hwy 97 on black ice, I have had studded snow tires on all 4 wheels during the winter. Studded tires are rarely needed but they can be life savers.
Or, life threateners. Studded tires have longer braking distances, and poorer traction on dry or bare- and-wet roads, than regular tires, and are also more prone to hydroplaning. In addition, they rut paved roads making hydroplaning more likely for all drivers, and wearing out everyone's tires faster. Plus studded tires are no better than Blizzak-type (soft-compound) winter tires, even on ice: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advice-on-tires/do-i-need-a-studded-winter-tire-or-is-studless-the-way-to-go-we-can-tell-you So using them in Western Washington, where dry or bare-and-wet are the winter road conditions 99.9% of the time, is ridiculous; and using them anyplace else is unnecessary. If people in Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin don't need them (yes, they do, in fact, have steep hills in those states), and if I don't need them at Stevens Pass (I have never spun out in 25 years of living there), nobody needs them.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am 
CC wrote:
Or, life threateners. Studded tires have longer braking distances, and poorer traction on dry or bare- and-wet roads, than regular tires, and are also more prone to hydroplaning. In addition, they rut paved roads making hydroplaning more likely for all drivers, and wearing out everyone's tires faster. Plus studded tires are no better than Blizzak-type (soft-compound) winter tires, even on ice: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advice-on-tires/do-i-need-a-studded-winter-tire-or-is-studless-the-way-to-go-we-can-tell-you So using them in Western Washington, where dry or bare-and-wet are the winter road conditions 99.9% of the time, is ridiculous; and using them anyplace else is unnecessary. If people in Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin don't need them (yes, they do, in fact, have steep hills in those states), and if I don't need them at Stevens Pass (I have never spun out in 25 years of living there), nobody needs them.
Living up to the Curmudgeon avatar, I like it

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm 
CC wrote:
Studded tires have longer braking distances, and poorer traction on dry or bare- and-wet roads, than regular tires, and are also more prone to hydroplaning.
First off: I don't use studs because I run snow M&S tires year-round. However...I would NEVER tell someone they can't, or shouldn't use them if they might encounter severely icy road conditions in the winter. Many non-studded tires are outperformed by studded tires in all conditions. You can pick examples to support any spin you want to put on it. Anyone who manages to spin out on dry or merely wet pavement should go to remedial driving school. If driving with studs on bare pavement made someone spin out they were probably going WAAAY too fast, and not just making a minor miscalculation. If you manage to hydroplane with studded tires, then again: you were going way too fast, or your tires tread depth has become WAY to shallow. Ruts? Roads wear out, get over it. They don't last forever and big trucks on hot pavement make deeper ruts than studs in winter. Studded tires are life threatening? hahahaha lol.gif You're killing me, that's for sure.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Blizzard of the day in the Sultan foothills 2/11/19
Blizzard of the day in the Sultan foothills 2/11/19
Ok, yeah I'm weird, but I just *love* that kind of day! Wonderful video, Nancyann, but really, that's not a "blizzard": you can see the trees clearly. It's just a little snow blowing by. lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I-90 has been closed all night. Still is.
Yeah, a few years ago all 3 passes were closed the day before we were planning on leaving WA, south of Seattle. So down to Portland, over to Umatilla, then back to I-90 via Ritzville it was. The only really *bad* aspect of this was driving in Oregon: it's like hitting a speed bump to drive the freeway in Oregon with their arcane 55mph rules - or maybe it's 60 now, I don't remember. I just know that when I was a kid, it was "basic rule", not "speed limit". FAR more logical.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 pm 
Gave up shoveling my driveway after 4 days of snow.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 pm 
Here in the O we only got a couple more inches of snow. That's the O effect. I have a report that East Lewis County, where I used to live is inundated with snow and power and phones are out. There is a foot and a half in Morton and it is still dumping there. I wonder if it will cause roofs to collapse like in 2006? The Hampton Mill roof collapsed then. I think I would be stuck at home if still there, with no running water. I can live without power but I hate not having running water.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 3:16 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Gave up shoveling my driveway after 4 days of snow.
For some reason rocknclimb, your photos aren't displaying. There is an error message saying "This photo is no longer available." ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 pm 
Schenk wrote:
CC wrote:
Studded tires have longer braking distances, and poorer traction on dry or bare- and-wet roads, than regular tires, and are also more prone to hydroplaning.
First off: I don't use studs because I run snow M&S tires year-round. However...I would NEVER tell someone they can't, or shouldn't use them if they might encounter severely icy road conditions in the winter. Many non-studded tires are outperformed by studded tires in all conditions. You can pick examples to support any spin you want to put on it. Anyone who manages to spin out on dry or merely wet pavement should go to remedial driving school. If driving with studs on bare pavement made someone spin out they were probably going WAAAY too fast, and not just making a minor miscalculation. If you manage to hydroplane with studded tires, then again: you were going way too fast, or your tires tread depth has become WAY to shallow. Ruts? Roads wear out, get over it. They don't last forever and big trucks on hot pavement make deeper ruts than studs in winter. Studded tires are life threatening? hahahaha lol.gif You're killing me, that's for sure.
I've run several makes including the low temp compounds, and nothing gets up the same hill on the way home in skating rink conditions like the studded ones. The new compounds are far better than the old it's true, but studs matter on ice, and we have a lot of it throughout the winter here. My take is of course in favor of letting people choose for their circumstances. Some, of course, can't deal with that. Roads are to be used, they require maintenance continually, and the cost of doing so is just the cost of having a road system. They'd last even longer and be cheaper if no one was allowed to drive on them. The goal of a road is not avoiding costs and maintenance, it is to drive on and use.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers