Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Growl & Rattle The Bushes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm 
DONT!!! “One of the people in the first group thought it would be funny to make growling noises and rattle the bushes,” Read on to see what happens when you frighten people in cougar country https://methowvalleynews.com/2019/02/06/wdfw-investigation-of-shooting-incident-finished/

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
DONT!!! “One of the people in the first group thought it would be funny to make growling noises and rattle the bushes,” Read on to see what happens when you frighten people in cougar country https://methowvalleynews.com/2019/02/06/wdfw-investigation-of-shooting-incident-finished/
Quote from the article: "Christensen said the incident underscores one of the principal rules of firearm safety training that is required of hunters before they receive a license: “Be sure of your target and what lies beyond before firing.” Yeah, dad taught me that from the very beginning, but the other side of this incident is don't be intentionally stupid! ESPECIALLY during hunting season. huh.gif And particularly when the 2nd party isn't known to the first. dizzy.gif 46' isn't a great distance for a cat to cover in a short time, so that *may* have been a reasonable deterrent move, maybe, maybe not... Not sure what I would have done in that instance (as 2nd hunter), but I *think* that I'd recognize that something just didn't "seem right" and wait to SEE what was making the noise. What a turn of events in just a short moment, and what a tough way to learn a serious lesson, for all involved. Anyway, I'm glad the guy is apparently going to be (mostly) ok. And a 354 page report, that's a lot of discussion time.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am 
Them damn Seattle hunters screw up again! biggrin.gif Must be the same ilk of people who told our crew they almost lobbed some shots in our direction as we were making so much noise (we were cruising timber and hollering out tree volumes) that they thought we were an anti hunting group.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm 
Darwin award runner up for the knucklehead that growled...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 2:33 pm 
Read Pat McManus books.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 pm 
Careful about McManus references. Some are enhanced amalgam of real characters and events. My cousin had a scar he was grumpy about his whole life that he attributed to Dad zigging the Buick, impacting a hood ornament, while driving across part of the place we called the meadow, catching grasshoppers. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 pm 
You CANT fix stupid!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:06 am 
Pyrites wrote:
Careful about McManus references. Some are enhanced amalgam of real characters and events. My cousin had a scar he was grumpy about his whole life that he attributed to Dad zigging the Buick, impacting a hood ornament, while driving across part of the place we called the meadow, catching grasshoppers. Best.
I am sure that many of the events and characters are based on real folks. Thank goodness for that. Many local hunters around Randle have purchased E-bikes to get them over the bad and gated roads. I remind a few about The Deer On The Bicycle story. They know the story, they laugh. Both of my parents worked. My dad worked on big construction projects and would sometimes have a travel trailer to live in during the week, away from home. We would go up and stay there when he happened to have it parked in the woods. (We'd probably be turned in to CPS now). There were lots of bears in the one place. Dad had to work late and we were in bed when there was growling and thumping on the trailer. It was scary. We had no guns. It was my dad playing a joke on us. We should have figured it out quicker as our dog, who frequently had a bear up a tree for his entertainment, did not go crazy.