Forum Index > Trail Talk > I 90 trailheads closed this weekend by DNR
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm 
WTF the DNR has closed Tiger, Si, Little Si, Tenerife, Snoqualmie Point, Granite Lakes, and Mailbox through this weekend. The reason given is excessive snow. BTW we went up West Tiger 3 today via Cableline and down WT3 Trail. It was fun with traction, no avi hazard but wallowing if off piste.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 pm 
Bummer.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 7:33 am 
North Bend and Snoqualmie declared a State of Emergency and called in the National Guard! They are trying to corral the people and keep them contained and out of trouble. LOL. Today's Americans are WEAK! waah.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:10 am 
I think the snowplowers are busier than usual. Remember, the whole word is not Seattle. The foothills are hammered with snow. Just read an article about avalanche danger just out of Wenatchee, where avalanches are not something one thinks about.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Remember, the whole word is not Seattle.
Seattlite? Seattlish? hockeygrin.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 am 
Sculpin wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Remember, the whole word is not Seattle.
Seattlite? Seattlish? hockeygrin.gif
Love it! My mother the proofreader would chastise me. My excuse? The cofefve had not kicked in yet. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am 
treeswarper wrote:
The cofefve had not kicked in yet
Not to be confused with covfefe... Where is the closure posted? Given that you can walk to Tiger from downtown Issaquah, it seems difficult to close the whole mountain. (If it's just parking lots and access roads, that's another matter.) Mailbox and Teneriffe could certainly have avalanche danger, and given the clientele they receive these days, it may make sense to close their trailheads.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am 
neek wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
The cofefve had not kicked in yet
Not to be confused with covfefe... Where is the closure posted? Given that you can walk to Tiger from downtown Issaquah, it seems difficult to close the whole mountain. (If it's just parking lots and access roads, that's another matter.) Mailbox and Teneriffe could certainly have avalanche danger, and given the clientele they receive these days, it may make sense to close their trailheads.
They posted on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WashDNR/photos/a.278074791518/10156670829336519?type=3&sfns=mo Looks like just closing trailheads and/or leaving them unplowed and inaccessible due to snow. I imagine plenty of people will still be on Tiger from other aspects.

nordique

nordique
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:03 am 
The notice:
Closed trailheads
Closed trailheads
If those trailheads are anything like my street, I can understand why they are closed. So, we now have to park on snowy streets to hike from those locations--though of course we can also access trails from those trailheads by other ways.

Pribbs

Pribbs
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm 
Trails are open but parking lots all closed, as well as Middle Fork Road for Mailbox and Granite Lakes.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 pm 
I went up Tiger today via Section line, talked with someone who'd come up Tiger 3 main trail. He said parking lot was open. Decent tread most of the way up, the last section had steps in foot deep newer snow. No fresh tracks on the railroad grade. Spikes helped with traction but not necessary. Someone has cleared blow downs on tiger 3 trail, section line has some trees down, I could have used loopers...

When I grow up I wanna play.
pula58

pula58
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:43 am 
anyone have info on Dirty Harrys balcony trailhead?

Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 11:54 am 
The Washington Dept of Natural Resources closure of the trailhead access locations is possibly related to the DNR avoidance of lawsuits. Years ago I was told that the arrow signs of approaching curves on rural roads and highways were "inspired" by lawsuits filed against a county or state for negligence by someone who was injured or killed in auto accident at the curved road location. There was a negligence lawsuit against Wash. State for that landslide from the north side of the Stillaguamish river at Oso and DNR was involved. The March 22, 2014 Oso landslide wiped out the Steelhead Haven neighborhood and killed 43 people. In the aftermath, victims and their families filed dozens of wrongful death and personal injury claims against the state and Snohomish County. Lawsuits against the Washington Department of Natural of Resources and Snohomish County over the deadly Oso landslide can go forward. The judge cleared the way for the state and county to still be sued under other causes of action. For example, the Department of Natural Resources could be held liable as a landowner. Snohomish County might still be on the hook for breach of duty.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 6:11 pm 
Mikey wrote:
The Washington Dept of Natural Resources closure of the trailhead access locations is possibly related to the DNR avoidance of lawsuits.
Which leads to my well held opinion that we have FAR too many attorneys in this country. 5% of the number he currently have "employed" now should be sufficient. And for a myriad of reasons, this being just one.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 am 
moonspots wrote:
Mikey wrote:
The Washington Dept of Natural Resources closure of the trailhead access locations is possibly related to the DNR avoidance of lawsuits.
Which leads to my well held opinion that we have FAR too many attorneys in this country. 5% of the number he currently have "employed" now should be sufficient. And for a myriad of reasons, this being just one.
I don't know that the problem is "too many attorneys" as much as "chickenshit incompetent management" They think that "closing" the land somehow reduces the potential liability in the event that someone is injured or killed during the closure period. But whether the area is closed or not doesn't stop someone , someone's estate or insurance company from suing. Whether the area is closed or not becomes just another negotiating point between parties. Based on what I observed internationally, there are far far fewer closures and restrictions on travel in countries where there is universal health care and people get the treatment they need for injuries without assignment of blame.