Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:30 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
She's also the one bright spot in the Lost in Space reboot. No one does loose cannon like Ms Posey.
up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 am 
Free Solo - Really something. Scary at times to be sure. Sadly, if he keeps this up he's going to die. When I worked at Marmot in the 80'-90's Peter Croft was a big deal in the free climbing arena. I wonder what happened to him?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dusty Trale

Dusty Trale
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 am 
Peter Croft is written up on Wikipedia. He is now 60 years old. There is a list of his climbs.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:11 am 
http://squamishclimbingmagazine.ca/interview-legendary-climber-peter-croft/ interesting read. I remember what it was like to be be a kid with little money, living to hike and bumming rides, doing entire trips with nothing but a crap tent and a pack full of top ramen, scrounged outdoor gear and the burning desire to get to the cascades....from the minute we got home from the last trip comments on the pressures of filming...
Quote:
I think it has become such a normal thing, filming when soloing. I know of close calls with camera men etc. and I think people take it super lightly and people should be careful of it. Obviously, it is going to continue but one of the problems of it is that 20 years ago, if you went out to solo something and did it, no one needed to see it and people would take your word for it. Now, if a tree falls in the forest and wasn’t wearing a go-pro, its not that it didn’t make a sound, it just didn’t happen. Now, it seems like if you don’t film it, there is no proof. There is sponsors now etc. and I would hope that people soloing for the camera be safe and take it seriously One of the built in safe guards for the soloist if there is no film crew is that you pick your moment. You could hike for a few hours and get up to some big climb and decide that you are not into it. But with the film crew, they may have flew in to get this footage and now you don’t feel like it? There are more pressures to make the wrong decision. There was one time where this film crew wanted to film me on this 1000 foot clip up in the mountains of the sierras and they were like ‘Peter, you gotta be on time’! So I said “Don’t worry about it, I’ll be on times’. So, I get up there early in the morning and they are still having breakfast and they are taking a long time. We are planning on filming this west face and I want to make sure that it is not in the sun. They crew ended up not being ready and I am waiting in this white rock talus field in sun and I’m starting to feel woozy. Like an idiot, I actually went for it. I didn’t come close to slipping off but about 400 feet up I decided we were going down. It was not good what they did and it was also really stupid what I did. The pressure of that experience obviously lead to some unusual choices.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 3:56 pm 
Black Panther sucks. down.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 7:22 pm 
It was so irrational it irritated me the entire way through. Nothing about their nation or civilization made a bit of sense, their ideas were self contradictory throughout, and all this advancement somehow functioning underneath an atavistic feudalism.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 pm 
Haven't you guys heard, Black Panther was nominated for best picture! While I enjoyed it, I thought it being nominated was a joke. PC run amok. It is not an Oscar worthy film.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 pm 
The Bookshop is a deliberately paced, character driven drama. Having Emily Mortimer, Bill Nighy and Patricia Clarkson star in such a film is a good idea. I enjoyed it, good performances. A bit of humor but it's a bit somber overall in tone. Mortimer is charming and Nighy is always great.

gb

gb
PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:31 am 
Just watched La La Land last night on E. What a great movie, so imaginative in direction and cinematography. I've always thought Ryan Gosling to be quite a good actor, and Emma Stone - well it was hard not to fall in love with her - during that performance. No wonder the movie dominated the Oscars.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 17, 2019 2:25 pm 
Alita Battle Angel- That was really something. Not enough back story to really get a grasp on understanding it if you hadnt read the graphic novel, but a great movie. The effects just keep getting better.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:06 pm 
Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody this weekend. I thought Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury was outstanding. Hope he wins the Oscar for his role. I enjoyed the entire movie. Helps that I was a Queen fan and the music brought back some old, fond memories.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 pm 
^^^ I'm really looking forward to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody but decided to wait until it's into the streaming market. These years I've found the theater "experience" in Seattle cineplexes so off-putting (volume way too loud, continuous play of commercials while waiting, etc etc) that I won't go unless the film is something that must be seen on the big screen - like Free Solo. I was never a Queen fan in their heydey but have since come to appreciate Mercury's amazing vocal gifts. I enjoyed watching this doc on his life - part 1 starts kinda slow, but then improves considerably. A much better doc about Mercury than some of the other hack stuff out there on the web: Freddy Mercury: The Untold Story

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 am 
I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody but... way too many inaccuracies ruined it for me. About half the film is pure hollywood fluff.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:34 am 
I've heard that criticism, too. One of the more apparent egregious inaccuracies is the timing of FM's AIDS diagnosis & progression. But the surviving members of the band seem to be OK with the way it turned out.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 am 
Not only that, but many key elements of the movie are distorted (or outright fabricated) for dramatic effect. It's closer to hollywood script than documentary.