Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Watch your language!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 4:57 pm 
Here are a couple fun quizzes to waste a little time on this gloppy Saturday, besides binge-watching Netflix, tackling that novel and monitoring the latest daily-news train wreck: How Y'all, Youse and You Guys Talk I've lived in a number of places in N. America but spent my early years thru high school in the same place, so had to think back to which colloquialisms were used most often in my home town to see if the quiz accurately picked my geographical roots. You can do the 2nd quiz even if you're not from there ... my results suggest some definite Irish vs Brit influence in my hometown, which doesn't surprise. The British-Irish Dialect Quiz I discovered lots of new lingo when I lived in Alberta - mostly Brit with some Quebecois thrown in. Way more than I ever heard in Ontario. Huh? What's a chesterfield? biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 6:04 pm 
A couch, daveno, sofa.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 7:19 pm 
They located me in WA, major cities spokane, tacoma, and anchorage

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 pm 
I couldn't get it to work. I'd get clear to the end and when the results were due, the dreaded -----is not responding. Took the UK one and it said I was clearly from somewhere else.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm 
Huh I thought I knew what a chesterfield was a knee length overcoat with a velvet collar. It appears both usages originate from the same Earl.

glenoid

glenoid
PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am 
Kind of interesting quiz. Pegged me for Spokane. (I was born there but did a lot of time in Eastern Washington, and about 15 years in Seattle.) As I lived also for a time in Michigan/Indiana, the "map" they showed picked up some of my speech as being similar to that region. The map though says I don't have much in common with New Hampshire or Alaska where I have also resided.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSun Feb 17, 2019 11:44 pm 
Even though my native dialect came in second in the “America's Ugliest Accent” contest, these dialect quizzes never accurately locate native speakers of it. Three questions would suffice. 1) What does the word heyna mean? 2) How many items does “a couple, two, tree” indicate. 3) What are the differences among: “I'm going ta da mall, I'm going downa mall, and I'm going up da mall.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:20 pm 
I got “not from around here, are you” on the Irish-Scottish quiz, and Boston-Buffalo on the American quiz. And I’m Canadian - born in Montreal, based in Vancouver. Make of this what you will.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 3:13 pm 
^^^^ Interesting, Seawallrunner. I'm originally from the Buffalo - western NY area but the USA quiz put me farther west - Detroit and Minneapolis, where I've never been.
Adohrn wrote:
...I thought I knew what a chesterfield was a knee length overcoat with a velvet collar.
Until I moved to Alberta, the only "Chesterfield" I ever heard of was a cigarette brand. clown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
reststep

reststep
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 pm 
It put me in Salt Lake City where I have never been, Spokane where I been a day or too and Seattle where I have spent most of my life in or nearby. Any way the validity is in question because it didn't ask about the pronunciation of creek. smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
veronika

veronika
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 am 
It put me way down south. I was born here and raised in Cali... I guess 7 years of Florida life has rubbed off! clown.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm 
Interesting, the cities it gave me were nowhere near where I grew up. But the colors on the map were very dark in the area I grew up, there just are smaller towns there. I think also this gets skewed because of where my family came from. Also, I think it's funny - I used to do environmental education before I had kids. When I would do a lot of talking, apparently I would start to drawl, because people would often ask me if I were from the South. I grew up in rural Oregon with a bunch of hicks and rednecks, so I think we carried some accents with us that weren't necessarily part of our native area.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 11:34 pm 
Spokane (85 miles away) Boise, and Reno...wish I were in Reno playing poker.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 11:29 pm 
It put me in Tacoma (where I grew up), Seattle [the area where I've lived (assuming you count the Eastside as part of Seattle) since 1980, or Salt Lake City (which I've only passed through once).