Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am 
Anyone heard anything about plans to build a parking garage at the old Yodelin site and a hotel somewhere around there too? This is the scuttlebutt heard from an employee there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 am 
Do they not remember this? Yodelin Avalanche 1971

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm 
Take took place on the otherside of the highway

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 pm 
Those are not in the Master Plan and they have to file an amendment before they can be considered by the Forest Service. The only thing I've heard by Vail is to replace Kehrs and Brooks chairs, which was proposed in 2012.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:31 pm 
It sounded far fetched to me, but then I thought, maybe that land is actually a private inholding.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm 
Seems like an unwise investment to me. Very few people are going to book a week long ski vacation to a resort where it might rain all week -- which any resort in the cascades is a real possibility. The big money in ski resorts is real estate development adjacent to the resort, but again this depends on investors being able to fully book xmas, new years and presidents weeks to families.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 5:28 pm 
We were going to ski at Yodelin that day. We canceled and went to Snowcrummy instead when we heard Stevens was closed.there had been 4’ of heavy new snow the night before with a couple inches of rain on top. We did not leave the pass until midnight because it was also blocked. Heard about the slide the next day. Dr. LaChappel at the UW had warned the developers they were building in an avalanche area to no avail.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wickstad

wickstad
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:30 pm 
Four houses equal one hotel.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 pm 
The ski area at the summit is all on FS property. However, the resort (now Vail) owns 30-some acres which was part of the old Yodelin ski area and contains the old lodge, which up till this year was used for employee housing, and part of the Yodelin overflow parking lot (another 8-plus acres, which includes the east end of that lot, is owned by another private party). When Vail bought resort last year they decided old lodge was not suitable for employee housing, and it is now vacant. So it makes sense that they might raze that building and build a hotel/parking garage. It would only require Chelan County approval, not FS. Vail is large enough that they don't need investors to finance it. The idea that people wouldn't book hotel rooms at Stevens is just plain silly. A number of cabin owners in the Yodelin development rent their cabins and have no trouble doing so.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am 
CC wrote:
The idea that people wouldn't book hotel rooms at Stevens is just plain silly. A number of cabin owners in the Yodelin development rent their cabins and have no trouble doing so.
For weekends yes they do. Entire weeks, not so much.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 7:33 am 
The 1st grade teacher at my elementary school at the time, Mrs. Edgars, was one of the victims; I`ll never forget hearing that news the day after, at the same school....She was a really sweet and awesome teacher.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 9:24 am 
I think with the way the Puget Sound area has grown and will continue to grow; with the increased traffic and parking situation up there making a day trip more and more of a hassle; with the summer mt bike park; and with Stevens being on Epic that a hotel would do just fine. Crystal has what, 3 hotels, and they are all very overpriced since rooms are in demand summer and winter. Even that motel at White Pass seems to do just fine. I do hate the idea of a parking garage in the mountains though.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 11:04 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
For weekends yes they do. Entire weeks, not so much.
So much. I realize that it's very unusual for you to know less about something than someone else, but I'm afraid that in this case it's true. I live at Yodelin. Also, the probability that it would "rain all week" at Stevens Pass during prime ski season is negligible. See footnote in NWAC weather forecast re eastern flow and snow level. Our snowpack doesn't peak until late March.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 3:24 pm 
FYI: Here's the link to the Stevens Pass master plan: https://www.stevenspass.com/site/mountain/info/future-plans It does not seem to be linked from other parts on the website (??).

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm 
Vertec wrote:
FYI: Here's the link to the Stevens Pass master plan: https://www.stevenspass.com/site/mountain/info/future-plans
Again: the master plan only pertains to portion of resort that is on FS property. The Yodelin site is private property, subject only to Chelan County zoning and building codes.