Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > what canadian mountain city would you move to?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:44 pm 
^ agreed and noted in an earlier response. but, i have to imagine that every single school in this oh so great country of ours also gets to enjoy shooter drills. IDK about you, but i suspect after 13 years of drills as a developing child, you start to have a lot of fear in your life about whether some whackjob is gonna shoot you up.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:48 pm 
I suspect a stable upbringing is more influential in shaping one's perspective.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm 
Imho guns.gif education is something every individual should learn. If one understands them and respects them, and yes, also fears them, to me that's a positive not a negative. Trying to shield your children from violence and fear, although understandable, doesn't seem practical. It's simply the world we live in and is not likely to change anytime soon. My parents bought me my first guns.gif at 11 years old, and educated me on use and safety and that training has served me well. But again, I do understand your fear, it's not unwarranted, but uprooting your lives over that fear seems a bit drastic, just imho. I do believe that we need to have better security in our schools, much better and teachers should be trained in guns.gif use.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kite

kite
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 6:19 pm 
I really love Rossland, i know the chairs are old and slow at Red but the town and people are very pleasant

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 7:03 pm 
Malachi Constant wrote:
Canada is similar to the US but you will always be a bit of a stranger in a strange land IMO.
I disagree, except for Quebec. I lived in Alberta not quite five years and seemed to fit right in. Soon after my arrival one person said, "Are you really American? You seem too nice!" I'd go in a heartbeat, if it were possible. So unfortunate things never worked out with the Canadian BFs. shakehead.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm 
Just move to Hope and see if you can deal with the ex-pat lifestyle. Close to mountains, port of entry, etc. Then you can move back if it doesn't work out. If you like it, you can explore and find a place to settle down. Otherwise, move to Spokane. That's where all reasonable Seattlites escape to. smile.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 pm 
Every time I've visited Hope, it's seemed a little rough around the edges. YMMV.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:59 pm 
A vote for Nelson here. I have family that moved there 40 something years ago. So have visited a few times. Cool little town with access to lots of outdoor activities. Always haters and complainers anywhere you go talking about the good old days I would not pay them much attention. Nelson has come a long way to make itself a very attractive place to be. That of course has lead to higher home and rental prices that the lower end of the population has some resentment about. The only other option was to become a dead little timber town as the logging went away, and sawmills closed over the years. Lots more opportunities to make a living there than in the past, but not an infinite amount. As far as the ex pat syndrome goes I think Canada hardly rates. Just learn to like hockey as your kids will play, and make sure you know which end of the maple leaf goes up.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 11:17 pm 
Well when I was in elementary school we had the duck and cover drills. In sixth grade they evacuated us out to a nearby lake, the thought occurred to me that if this was real you would have a few hundred kids and a dozen adults in the middle of nowhere with no food or shelter. All their family would be dead. What the hell would happen then? Sounded like a bad sci-fi film. BTW came back from Ottawa with a greater love of hockey, Canada will still be a second home.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 11:31 pm 
Ooooh ... I feel a Weird Al Yankovic parody coming on:

KJR

KJR
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 6:14 am 
Hmm... schools also practice fire drills and most likely still have earthquake drills. Do kids come out of school petrified of an earthquake or fire? If I had to pick between one of the three, I would be looking for someplace to live that didn’t have the possibility of the ground shaking violently. Most folks carry some items in their backpack each hike just in case, or put a blanket and some other items in the car before venturing out in the winter. All of the above were used as teaching aids / lessons with my daughter as she grew. Walking to the mail box contains some risk, so does going for the ice cream cone, loaf of bread, or pizza. It all boils down to what is acceptable risk to each person, and that is an indvidual or family decision. How will you walk home 20 miles in those high heels after the big quake? Which of the Knick knacks on the shelf of your living room will bounce off and impact your head as you sit in your chair under it? How much vegetation is around your house and driveway ready to burn? What type of soil is your house built on? Do you live in a valley that is prone to flooding or a mud slide courtesy of the big mountain to the SE of most of us? Lots of things to keep us up at night, choose your type.

around the next corner
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am 
Actually, people in Quebec seemed to like US people more than they liked folks from Ontario. In Ontario we could usually pass for someone from BC derisively called “Coasties”.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 am 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Strikes_Out

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 11:12 am 
Malachi Constant wrote:
Actually, people in Quebec seemed to like US people more than they liked folks from Ontario.
Ages ago we spent a couple days in Quebec while on a research trip to Ottawa. I recall encountering a few folks who would not speak English to us, although we knew they could (it must have been during one of their separatist snits). Fortunately I had enough command of kindergarten French that I knew how to translate and pronounce "oeuf McMuffin". tongue.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 11:26 am 
Québécois is a bit different from High school French especially spoken they do not roll Rs for example.