Forum Index > Trail Talk > The world as we know it is coming to an end!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jm31828

jm31828
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm 
I didn't mean it to sound like I was wishing for 70 degree weather this time of year- I was just finding it unusual and frustrating that we are close to 10 degrees below normal every day for such a long stretch.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 pm 
gb wrote:
This amazing stretch of cool to cold weather finally looks like it will end around February 26th ...
Forecast for the 26th for Seattle (from the National Weather Service): TUESDAY...Partly sunny with a chance of snow. Highs in the lower 40s.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 2:59 pm 
I can't help being reminded:
Quote:
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
--Robert Frost

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:53 pm 
And meanwhile, for the rest of the World: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/global-climate-201901

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
iron

iron
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:59 pm 
Schenk wrote:
And meanwhile, for the rest of the World: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/global-climate-201901
dang. that record in australia is crazy. 1.78F above previous record???

gb

gb
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 4:14 pm 
rossb wrote:
gb wrote:
This amazing stretch of cool to cold weather finally looks like it will end around February 26th ...
Forecast for the 26th for Seattle (from the National Weather Service): TUESDAY...Partly sunny with a chance of snow. Highs in the lower 40s.
Nice one, Rob, but a bit shortsighted. This is actually what the NWS Forecast Long term discussion said both yesterday and today (Wednesday is February 27th):
Quote:
.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...Previous discussion...Models remain out of sync with one another for Tuesday...keeping confidence in the long term pretty low. Current GFS runs show dry conditions Tuesday whereas the ECMWF is pretty antithetical to that. They appear to realign starting Wednesday morning with conditions being pretty wet over W WA for much of the day and into the bulk of Thursday as an upper level low moves eastward through the area. Models diverge again after that as the ECMWF keeps a troughy pattern over the Pac NW while the GFS ushers in a pretty steep ridge from over the Pacific. Fortunately...no matter which model is right regarding the upper level systems...precip and what have you...the consensus is that snow levels will climb throughout the long term period...getting up to the 3000-4000 ft range by Thursday/Friday and as such any precip from Wednesday on will be liquid. Should this remain consistent in future runs...may finally be able to put the specter of this winter in the rear view mirror. SMR

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 9:26 pm 
Well, it's still winter around Northbend and upper Tiger. I'm liking it, but I don't see it changing in the short term.

When I grow up I wanna play.
rossb

rossb
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 am 
The point is that the previous long term forecast was wrong. You predicted that around now we would see temperatures well above normal. Instead, we will continue to see temperatures below normal. At some point though, we will see temperatures close to normal. Wow, crazy! I'm sorry, but your bold prediction was simply wrong. Just imagine if it really was 55 degrees out today, a couple degrees above normal. You would rightly be trumpeting your bold prediction. It happened a couple days early, but you were right. Except that didn't happen. It continued cold. It will still be cold past the date you said we were supposed to have "temperatures well above normal". The problem is that long term forecasting is ridiculously unreliable. You might as well consult a groundhog.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 12:54 pm 
Soon enough it'll be time to COMPETE on those hot, steep, dusty slopes. Seriously GAIN on hot days isn't for the weak!!!

gb

gb
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 1:53 pm 
rossb wrote:
The point is that the previous long term forecast was wrong. You predicted that around now we would see temperatures well above normal. Instead, we will continue to see temperatures below normal. At some point though, we will see temperatures close to normal. Wow, crazy! I'm sorry, but your bold prediction was simply wrong. Just imagine if it really was 55 degrees out today, a couple degrees above normal. You would rightly be trumpeting your bold prediction. It happened a couple days early, but you were right. Except that didn't happen. It continued cold. It will still be cold past the date you said we were supposed to have "temperatures well above normal". The problem is that long term forecasting is ridiculously unreliable. You might as well consult a groundhog.
Not a very intelligent attempt at one upsmanship. What is wrong with you? You are confusing ego with interest. Perhaps you have none of the latter. I forecast what was in the long-term models and what showed up for several days. Even now, forecasting models show temperatures at 5000' of -12C within 50 to 100 miles of temperatures at the same elevation of +8C between Astoria and Salem on several days. It remains not cut and dried and the forecasting models you are assailing continue having trouble dealing with what would be, if it continues as the newest models show, north of Salem an undoubtedly historically long period of pretty cold weather. Through February 22nd at WFO Sandpoint and including 4 warm days at the beginning of February the average temperature has been 36F with an all-time record low February temperature of 35.6 (in the discussion a few days ago). No wonder the models are having trouble with this forecast and the more so when a subtropical jet undercuts the ridge in just a few days.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 2:06 pm 
I just want to know if its gonna snow next couple uh days

gb

gb
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 2:17 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
The forecasters don't currently think so as of 10 AM. In as much as the U of W MM5 and other models are inconsistent, the best current bets are to continue to read the NWS Seattle Forecast Discussion and watch Satellite imagery for even shorter term. If you are going to the mountains, use NWAC, NWAC telemetry and Park and ski area webcams.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:21 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Go south... I had not been paying much attention to the PNW weather until my brother called this morning.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 5:34 pm 
Arguing about weather forecasts. embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm 
Its probably on its way up here!!! And likely increasing in speed and intensity!