Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:10 am 
The most accurate rockumentary will always be, This is Spinal Tap hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Alita Battle Angel- That was really something. Not enough back story to really get a grasp on understanding it if you hadnt read the graphic novel, but a great movie. The effects just keep getting better.
I very much enjoyed this, definitely worth seeing. It seems to be getting positive reaction from audiences, although it didn't do very well at the box office opening weekend. Critics hated it. There's clearly more story to tell with these characters but I'm not hopeful there will be a follow up.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 9:24 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
There's clearly more story to tell with these characters but I'm not hopeful there will be a follow up.
Im in the same camp. I hope there will be, but........

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 am 
Another vote for Alita: Battle Angel. I would love a sequel.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 11:04 am 
I enjoyed the first season of Netflix's "Umbrella Academy", it's kind of like a dark take on the X-men. It definitely has its problems, but overall its a very engaging story. I wouldn't say its on a par with Stranger Things, but it comes close. I really liked the way the plot becomes increasingly elaborate as the series progresses, so that while things seem fairly straight forward to start, nothing is quite as it seems. The characters generally have a lot of depth, including the villains. With that said, there's a certain point midway through where certain major plot elements become sadly predictable and cliched. It plays the "liar revealed" card a few too many times, and the characters tend to spend a tiring amount of time feeling sorry for themselves. Complaints aside, I'm looking forward to the next season!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 11:41 am 
Just discovered Bohemian Rhapsody is now available to stream - but not on Amazon or Netflix - via Google, Youtube and Vudu. It seemed remarkably "compressed" despite being over 2 hours. It seemed almost as much about the band as Mercury; would have to agree with Tom's assessment, but I still enjoyed it - Malek does a great physical imitation of Mercury. Amazing what great showmanship and naturally gifted, untrained "pipes" can do. The doc that I linked to in my last post, while dragging at times, gives much more insight into FM. The segment about his work with the opera diva is pretty amazing. There's another good one here: The King of Queen

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 2:18 pm 
In the last few weeks I've watched Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born, and Overlord. I'll agree with what's already been said here about BR - highly enjoyable and a fun movie with some great acting but pretty divorced from reality. A great sanitizing of his life. No way would I pick it for "best picture." ASiB is my pick for best picture. Fantastic acting throughout, a compelling story, good pacing. All the actors deserve recognition for this one as well as the writers. Overlord - kind of reminded me of Iron Sky in a lot of ways but with much better production values. Stupid, action packed entertainment. A good way to turn off the brain and shovel down some popcorn for a couple hours.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 am 
The Wandering Earth is a Chinese movie, based on the great Cixin Liu's novella of the same name. I've only read Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem series, which is probably the finest hard SF trilogy I've ever read. When I heard that one of his books (or novella in this case) had been made into a movie, I was pretty excited. It's out in limited release and was only playing in one theater in our area, so you might have to make an effort to catch it. The premise of the movie is that when our sun starts to die, humanity decides to take the entire planet on a 2500yr long journey to Alpha Centauri, the next closest star to us. How does one get about doing this...? Classic, big and bold hard SF idea, similar to something that Larry Niven or Gregory Benford would have come up with. The movie focuses on one moment of the voyage, when everything hangs in the balance. Gritty technical pyrotechnics, amazing imagery, one sequence that has shades of 2001: A Space Odyssey, in the backdrop of this classic hard SF plot. It's an amazing picture, that will make you ponder for long after. It does have a few flaws: The subtitles flash across the screen pretty quickly and it can, at times, get hard to follow them while also trying to take in the images on screen. The movie has two story lines, and these take a bit of time coming together, which can make the first part of the movie a bit slow (not that there aren't plenty of other things to marvel at). My 17yr old son said that he found it confusing; more specifically, that it would take him a little longer to catch on to what was going on; but for hard SF fans, there shouldn't be a problem. The running time is around 2hrs, and a lot happens, which means that there isn't too much time for character development. Having said that, for a monumental movie like this one...who cares?

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:32 pm 
Captain Marvel - Its gotten some so so reviews, but Im hear to say I LOVED IT! It wasnt perfect, few (outside of Gal Godot with Wonder Woman) ever are. That said, it was wonderful. It was hard to stop laughing. The combination of Sam Jackson's character and Brie Larson's character was really wonderful. Ole Goose the cat stole the show a few times. Captain Marvel is Marvels answer to DC's Superman! I cant wait for Avengers 4 with Captain Marvel. Ten thumbs up! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 am 
I also really enjoyed Captain Marvel. I'd been a bit wary of Brie Larson as the lead, but she was great! It was also pretty surprising how much chemistry she and Samuel Jackson had, which probably had a lot to do with the success of the movie, given its buddy cop flick vibe. Note: There are two post credit scenes.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 am 
Real sci fi..thought provoking, tense, you are not spoon fed explanations. This morning my better half said she'd been thinking about the movie for an hour before we got up. Try that with the superhero dreck. Shot in the Olympics with a strange, Nausicaa-style spore laden atmosphere added. The young lead is great. Worth a watch. They released the DVD a few days ago and I'd pre ordered.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Real sci fi..thought provoking, tense, you are not spoon fed explanations. This morning my better half said she'd been thinking about the movie for an hour before we got up. Try that with the superhero dreck. Shot in the Olympics with a strange, Nausicaa-style spore laden atmosphere added. The young lead is great. Worth a watch. They released the DVD a few days ago and I'd pre ordered.
I'm looking forward to this. Netflix got screwy with it's release date, and it went instantaneously from not available to long wait list. Redbox doesn't appear to have it yet. I'll get my hands on it eventually.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm 
Yeah I saw that goofy release stuff going on at NF and said screw it, I'll just buy. Other interesting fact..the young lady's part is not written or directed as a Mary Sue character. She's independent and gutsy, but also scared and makes mistakes. No magical ubercompetency at everything for no apparent reason. I didn't feel like watching yet another Rey. So refreshing to see real storytelling.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm 
Oh boy, that Mary Sue stuff sure gets some people riled up. I've seen countless references to that in various message boards/film critiques.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm 
Of course. It's a cheap substitute for meaningful, real characters.