Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Skiiing K2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:04 am 
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:12 am 
Ok Dayum. When is it going to end? The Krazie stuff that is.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:28 am 
Great article and some great photos (some of the best I've seen from up there). Thanks for the link! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am 
Insanity comes in many different forms and or they have a death wish-absolutely no fear of dying.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Insanity comes in many different forms and or they have a death wish-absolutely no fear of dying.
Or perhaps they are just very talented and skilled and this is not crazy to them...it is a good challenge to them. Dropping into Corbett's is probably a big "yawn" to them. I understand, and I don't instantly dump people doing these things into the "Crazy Wagon" category.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 1:47 pm 
Lighten up Fun Police don’t you remember The Man Who Skied Down Everest if you don’t someone will take your toys away wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pm 
So skiing down a mountain where the chances of dying is above 75% is not insane? MMMMkay!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 10:04 am 
The first few doing anything like this are the ones advancing the limit of human achievement and removing barriers for the rest of us. So it is a good thing some folks dance to the beat of their own drums. Nothing risky would ever be undertaken if left to the most conservative. Doesn't seem insane to me...seems like they have vision and the courage to back it up.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
neek

neek
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 11:00 am 
I'm going to flip a coin twice. If it's HT, TH, or TT you get a temporary ego boost. If it's HH I get to kill you and your family suffers deeply. The odds are in your favor, sounds like a perfectly sane bet dizzy.gif (But what does that say about everyone enjoying from the sidelines, including me? hmm...) Honnold leaves little to chance, but anyone who tackles K2 is simply rolling the dice due to objective hazard. Setting out in a canoe into unknown waters in hopes of finding new land makes sense for the future of your species. But it's hard to argue that logic is at play in this case. And yet it's still awesome.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 12:34 pm 
It's Russian Roulette with skill.. More power to them, cheap entertainment, like watching a train wreck. whaambulance.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 3:07 pm 
Why single out a ski descent of K2 vs just climbing 8000 meter peaks in general? Annapurna I has a worse successful summits to fatally rate (191:61) than K2.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 pm 
True. Himalayan mountaineers are nearly as insane, but the overall death rate is still a lot lower than skiing down K2.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 8:17 pm 
This might be a good thread to mention something I've been thinking about while reading this season's winter TRs (my first winter season of reading here). I'm not a downhill skier, and gave up XC after I left Canada. I realize that "risk" is relative to both skill level and objective dangers (and the ability to assess the latter), but at times I'm amazed by what people are up to in winter in the back country. Official avy reports notwithstanding, it seems that any given area will have its own micro-conditions, and you can't really know the level of objective danger. Just as an example, I read Matt's recent TR on Excelsior Peak. When I saw the photo below, I thought, yipes eek.gif that seems a pretty dangerous route to take, especially given the snow conditions at the time.
But in re the K2 stunt, I'm with Neek - it seems orders of magnitude crazier than what Honnold does ... not only because of the objective dangers, but the added pressure to take chances because of the costs involved just getting there. So many people on the "Dean Potter trajectory" these days. shakehead.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 11:56 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So skiing down a mountain where the chances of dying is above 75% is not insane? MMMMkay!
Seeing people who aren't there is insane. We all have a 100% chance of dying, for the record.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 12:05 am 
neek wrote:
I'm going to flip a coin twice. If it's HT, TH, or TT you get a temporary ego boost. If it's HH I get to kill you and your family suffers deeply. The odds are in your favor, sounds like a perfectly sane bet dizzy.gif (But what does that say about everyone enjoying from the sidelines, including me? hmm...) Honnold leaves little to chance, but anyone who tackles K2 is simply rolling the dice due to objective hazard. Setting out in a canoe into unknown waters in hopes of finding new land makes sense for the future of your species. But it's hard to argue that logic is at play in this case. And yet it's still awesome.
If logic was all there is to it, nobody would ever hike. Not even just because of lions tigers and bears, or because of the danger of being in a car on public roads, but also because we wouldn't have time given our second jobs. The really smart people are the ones who realize that work and money are means to an end. The heart wants what the heart wants, and sometimes that's mountains, sometimes it's inertia, sometimes it's putting them together.