Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 am 
Thank you. Ok Im missing something. Why arent the US named brand frame bikes using these M600 etc motors?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am 
The majority of the e-bike market is the EU so Bosch isn't going to make a custom motor for the US that isn't castrated by the EU regs. Name brand manufacturers like Trek won't use Bafang motors because they want to sell e-bikes to consumers at inflated prices so they need to differentiate their e-bikes from those with Chinese motors at a fraction of the cost. Other than the frame and motor there is nothing that truly differentiates one bike from another as you can otherwise put the same components on both.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 2:25 pm 
Rad dropped their prices so they are now at the pre-tariff level. My bike sits in my living room, waiting... My dog sleeps, waiting.... Meanwhile, I think I'll start riding my acoustical bike a bit as I'm thinking of riding some of the trails that don't have plug ins handy. Just thinking so far.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 2:32 pm 
Tells you how much profit margin there is in those cheap hub motors that Rad sells. hockeygrin.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
Tells you how much profit margin there is in those cheap hub motors that Rad sells. hockeygrin.gif
Well, I've got 800 miles of fun on it so far. You? I've been researching trails to ride. There looks to be a good one north of here and I plan to revisit the Ferry County Trail. They got their funding to resurface (not pave) the rocky ballast part of the trail. I skipped that part. Was trying to find info on the Columbia Plateau Trail but could not find much on the trail beyond the paved part out of Cheney. One guy had a bit written up on it, but that was seven years ago. I need a really long extension cord.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Tom wrote:
Well, I've got 800 miles of fun on it so far. You? I've been researching trails to ride. There looks to be a good one north of here and I plan to revisit the Ferry County Trail. They got their funding to resurface (not pave) the rocky ballast part of the trail. I skipped that part. Was trying to find info on the Columbia Plateau Trail but could not find much on the trail beyond the paved part out of Cheney. One guy had a bit written up on it, but that was seven years ago. I need a really long extension cord.
I did about an 8 mile or so section south of Cheney through the Turnbull Refuge last fall. Crushed gravel. Deep and soft in some places. I also did a section near Kahlotus through the tunnel and down Devil's Canyon. The trail is the original railroad ballast of fist-sized and larger rocks. Terrible riding even with my 4" fat tires (Rad Rover). I had to deflate them to around 10psi. It was so bad I took the road back on the return trip. I wont bother with most of the remote parts of the CPT until it gets some improvements. I'll check back in a decade or so lol. 1200+ miles on my Rad Rover so far

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am 
I am trying to get up courage to run on the "ballast rock" part of the Ferry County Trail. They did get money to resurface that, but I doubt they will do it very fast. Letting air out of the tires sounds like a good thing to do. I have a muddy Radmini. I think it was early January? I rode a route that a friend recommended. A goodly part was mud and slush. It hasn't been good bike cleaning weather here. Got an extra battery and now will make a padded case to haul it along. Getting it here was an ordeal in patience. It took over a month and I had to do detective work to find somebody with Fedex who knew the secret location where they were keeping it. rolleyes.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 am 
Tom, I understand the components. I understand the power in the motors. What is your opinion on the motors themselves between the two? Do you think the Bosch Motor or the M600 Motor will last longer?

Art is an adventure.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 11:04 am 
Stefan, would you please invent electric legs? Assist is ok -- I can still walk. I probably need about 127 watts, and 12 hour battery life with a weight of 3 lbs.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 12:20 pm 
Stefan, I would venture to guess the Bosch would last longer and if support is a concern you'll definitely have an easier time getting support from Bosch or Trek.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 1:02 pm 
I guess I will get what I pay for. I do like the price point differential....however, I don't like paying high just to pay high. I would like to think that if I pay for something in $$$, I will get quality. Still $2700 is good price for the m600.....but I need to actually "feel" the bike.

Art is an adventure.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 3:49 pm 
The M600 is new so I definitely wouldn't go that route if you are risk averse until there is more feedback. I'm planning to go this route once the 25% tariff goes away (until then the Volton meets my needs without breaking the bank). It will cost about the same as the Trek you are considering but will be lighter with full suspension and premium components. If the motor dies no biggie. Just buy another motor. As far as hands on testing the M600, who knows, maybe if you are ever up in BC you could ping Wayne and see if he'll let you take his for a spin.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm 
Tom, when does the tarrif go away, and where will you purchase that bike?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 9:04 pm 
I thinking the 25% tariff will go away after the 2020 elections. I'd probably order from Dengfu (who builds the frame) like that guy did. Who knows, by 2021 one of the US e-bike companies might place in an order with enwe or similar and slap their name on the bike in which case I'd go that route.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 8:05 am 
Tom wrote:
I thinking the 25% tariff will go away after the 2020 elections. I'd probably order from Dengfu (who builds the frame) like that guy did. Who knows, by 2021 one of the US e-bike companies might place in an order with enwe or similar and slap their name on the bike in which case I'd go that route.
Meanwhile, I'll be riding my e-bike... biggrin.gif