Forum Index > Stewardship > Clam Farms Dating Back To Egyptian Pyramids
Previous :: Next Topic  
Pyrites

Pyrites

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 3:37 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
CBC article discusses ancient clam farms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/clam-gardens-dating-1.4761214

&

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/clam-gardens-call-into-question-hunter-gatherer-past-of-b-c-first-nations-1.3068709

Farther south, could a few of the old low tidal walls be clam gardens, not fish traps? Itís hard to imagine needing to increase natural production of clams in Puget Sound.

Best.

Pyrites
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 6:47 pm 
Thanks for putting up these links, Pyrites.  I'm going to enjoy reading all the details in the PLOS ONE research paper referenced in the current CBC article.   up.gif

At first it seemed like "old news" since I have a 2006 book on the subject by Judith Williams in my library.  Seems like what's new is that the researchers have begun to figure out how old the clam gardens are.  You commented,

Quote:
Itís hard to imagine needing to increase natural production of clams in Puget Sound.

We've always assumed that the coast natives were much more nomadic than they actually were, and unsophisticated (compared to us). These gardens would have enabled them to make substantial increase within each tribe's territory, and made their harvesting sustainable.  What's intriguing is the possibility of how much we don't have access to because of changing sea levels.  I seem to recall reading that there was once a land bridge between Haida Gwaii and the mainland (or a much smaller, shallower channel).
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor

Dirt hippie
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 3:43 pm 
Given that tribes here in Washington extensively burned to clear land for huckleberries in the mountains, and burned to keep Sequim prairie open for deer and elk... yeah, there's probably a lot we've missed along the way.

Example: Wouldn't surprise me at all that we're running into camas in places that it was introduced and somehow encouraged.

--------------
~Mom jeans on wheels
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Clam Farms Dating Back To Egyptian Pyramids
  Happy Birthday kiliki, mtnmschist, adamcwatts!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: