Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > what canadian mountain city would you move to?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 12:10 pm 
iron - as the parent of a kid in the Seattle Public School system, I get where you're coming from. It sounds like you're more concerned with the developmental consequences of constant fear-messaging, rather than of something actually happening (although maybe not, given what you posted as I wrote this). My only relevant observation is that SPS practices lockdowns and evacuations, without mentioning the g-word to students. I suspect the notion of an active shooter scenario comes more from parents and peers, and when combined with the student's experience of lockdown practice, becomes the anxiety discussed in the articles you posted. Along with everything else that's making kids anxious these days--pressure to perform, overscheduling, lack of sufficient play-time, poor diet, helicopter parenting, and so on. Will you find things much different in another country? No idea. You may find that your kids thrive in a small-town school environment. You may also regret not having the resources of a big city that you may now take for granted. Libraries, museums, quality food, a large network of walkable streets, good medical facilities, etc. Despite the cute saying often misattributed to Mark Twain, I believe whatcha don't know can get you into just as much trouble as whatcha do know that ain't so. Given what we know about our inability to predict the future, I guess what I'm saying is that the effects of big life decisions probably stem way more from random chance than from any illusion of control we may have. That said, it's certainly possible to make dumb decisions, and it may turn out that in two years a lot of us are kicking ourselves for not getting out when we still had the chance. But enough philosophy. The more practical message--if you've decided on Canada for the right reasons--is, don't dis Vancouver based on one person's anecdote about the culture there. It meets all but one of your requirements, and is a model throughout the world for thoughtful urban design that promotes happiness.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm 
The mindset of trying to "Protect everyone from Everything" seems to becoming even more prevalent in the Country. Although in many cases it is warranted, but imho, many times that way of thinking crosses the line into unrealistic expectations and a state of fear. The reality is that life is dangerous, and one can't control and protect everything and everyone in it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm 
I recently researched the possibility of moving to South America primarily because of the strong possibility of Social Security and Medicare being cut in the current political climate. Ecuador sounds especially good. Living and medical care are both a lot cheaper down there--I could get along fine with half my current income and no Medicare. At my age I no longer have interest in expensive high tech life prolonging procedures. I have a fair knowledge of Spanish. However, I seem to have left it too late as my physical deterioration has accelerated a lot the last two years. It's also a long way from grandchildren. Oh, well, it was a thought! For me, Canada is too cold (as well as too expensive) and New Zealand (where I have shirttail relations, if that's what you call cousins of in-laws) is far too expensive. If you want to change country, do it now so you can quality for the new country's retirement and medical benefits when the time comes.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 4:36 pm 
I'm thinking of moving to the Soviet Union. There's lots of space in Siberia, land is inexpensive and finished home prices are reasonable. There's also a labor shortage in many places, so getting a decent job isn't very hard.

whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 5:26 pm 
I am aquainted with several people who have ditched the US. One lives in Morelia in Mexico, another near Puerto Vallarta. A third moved to Bagota, Colombia, which is much better now than one would expect. Don't know of any who moved to Canada, but emigration there is hard to do legally.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 6:11 pm 
More of you should leave, that will help with over-population. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 8:09 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
I'm thinking of moving to the Soviet Union.
You're only 27 years too late. smile.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 1:45 pm 
Just got back from skiing SilverStar with the family and loved it. Great vibe and all the locals we talked to love the resort and local community. Several folks we talked to live in or near the village and commute down the mountain to Vernon (15-20 min). Didn't spend much time in Vernon, but it certainly didn't have a mountain town vibe - similar sprawl as Kelowna but on a smaller scale. As someone mentioned, home prices seemed pretty high. Good luck with your decision, we have two small kids in Seattle Public Schools (SPS) and the gun messaging is a non-issue for us. The district does a good with the lockdown practice and how they message it to kids; like neek said, "guns" are not part of the messaging. Tom and others have mentioned it, but the parenting process is more important to how the kids view gun violence and how they respond to theses things. It's unfortunate that we have to think about these things, but I'm glad that SPS is taking it seriously.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:02 pm 
There's another tidbit to consider which has a scope larger than I previously realized until last week: tax consequences. I was visiting with a Canadian friend who moved here more than 20 years ago after marrying another Canadian who's been down here for ages and has US citizenship. Her husband died late last year and she's been busy with the year-end tax issues for his trust, etc. She has no plans to permanently relocate in Canada, but told me that if she did, there would be a huge US tax penalty for taking his assets out of the country - despite the fact that he's already paid taxes on it. She was even advised to apply for US citizenship, so she'd look like less of a "flight risk". Uncle Sam wants those assets to stay in the USA! eek.gif Consulting with a tax attorney who knows all the ropes re international tax law seems like it would be a good idea before making any serious moves.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 am 
There are many Mt. towns along southern BC I would love to live in. Sounds like you need a good road trip Iron.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 6:17 pm 
Sounds like you have a list. You might be ready for a field trip or two. At some point going and seeing is the deal. It’s not like 19th century getting on a steamship, train, and walking from the station to see what your new home is like. Are your kids ready for longer school year, and slightly different format? My experience at switching from WA State schools to B.C. schools is more than four decades out of date. There were some distinct differences. In retrospect I think changing mid-grade year would have been tougher. Classes, and Provincial final exams, were more keyed to each class as a full ten month curricula. Obviously I’m more than out of date. If annual Provincial exams still exist, and Kids are in high enough grades to be affected, moving in summer would be much easier. On the plus side everywhere has a skating rink, and curling is an intermural school sport. Distances are long. We traveled up to over 200 miles to normal season matches for rugby, curling, baseball (not school sport). Each way. My Sis’ did the same for basketball, and field hockey as I remember. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 7:19 pm 
This thread is a perfect example as to why Political and the unmentionable topic are verbotten. I have no animosity toward Iron personally, I would have responded the same way no matter who it was. Gnome I would have really BBQ'ed. wink.gif That being said, I will admit to some cabin fever and I have been a bit (lol) argumentative as of late, and for that I apologize.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 1:11 am 
Euthanized the gun drift. Let's stay on topic.

ree

ree
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 am 
I could move to Vancouver in a heartbeat. I love city living - the culture and arts. Vancouver is so cosmopolitan and international and vibrant. It has energy. up.gif I used to work in Vancouver, and I really enjoyed it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:09 am 
ree wrote:
I could move to Vancouver in a heartbeat. I love city living - the culture and arts. Vancouver is so cosmopolitan and international and vibrant. It has energy. up.gif I used to work in Vancouver, and I really enjoyed it.
LOL, Im looking at property in northern Idaho. 50 acres of leave me the hell alone! Im getting tired of the politics and crap just like all of you, except for the opposite reasons. <drift removed by moderator to stay on topic>

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln