Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Higgins LO site snowshoe 3/1/2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 4:09 pm 
With ample lowland snow and car troubles I didn't go out anywhere for 3 weekends and even now it was kind of difficult to find out where to go, but Mount Higgins looked really tempting, so I decided to try it. While C post road is all covered with deep snow, I was super happy to find a melted out spot right off HWY-530 to leave my car there. Great! The road walk is very long, but a company of different wildlife tracks made if fun. We also found a couple of places where a bird was eaten and even saw a few mosquitoes - first sign of spring. It was really cold and icy in the morning so we booted up the snowy road, but on the way back we used snowshoes all the time. After the main road snowshoes are a must and the route goes through very nasty super brushy logged forest with lots of branches everywhere laid with snow. The rocky outcrop was also a bit of scary traverse with lots of wet snow. But once out of the logging area, the forest becomes truly magical. Lots of big trees. Really lots of very soft powdery snow. I worried that after sunny days we would see classic cascade concrete, but it was nothing like this - actual deep soft powder instead and even the trees are still covered in snow. And the views from the LO site are just amazing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jdk610

jdk610
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 6:36 pm 
Gorgeous pictures! Do you happen to have stats for the trip (mileage, elev gain)?

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 pm 
My garmin fenix 5x says: 17.26 mi Distance 4,954 ft Elev Gain Elevation sounds reasonable, but I think garmin devices over estimate distance. Likely because I was going so slow due to breaking trail in deep snow and steep incline and doing a lot of little switchbacks. The distance is probably closer to 14 miles or less, if it was an actual smooth line.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 pm 
Wow, great shots!

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 3:04 am 
K., Whoa, Those are some great pics, especially with the happy Huskie! Impressive mileage as well! This post may generate some energy as Mt. Higgins comes and goes as a "legal" place to hike w/o crossing private property, disregarding signs, or going over/around locked gates. PS: I am looking for someone with "expert" local knowledge of Darrington/N. Fork Stilly roads for boating access. Would you be that person?? Tom

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:01 am 
Dayum,that's a LONG leash.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln