Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Bill Stark
Previous :: Next Topic  
Waterman

Waterman

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bill made a map of the enchantments. Very detailed with the names he and Peg had bestowed on the various lakes of the area.

If anyone owns or knows of a copy please pm.

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
contour5

contour5

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 1:23 pm 
Merry Christmas!

starkenchantmentsmap
starkenchantmentsmap
Stark Orig Enchantment
Stark Orig Enchantment
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Waterman

Waterman

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm 
Thank you very much.

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
graywolf

graywolf

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 7:24 pm 
I like how these maps show what I consider the "correct" names for some of the lakes.

--------------
The only easy day was yesterday...
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb

gb

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 7:43 am 
Wonderful names that Stark bestowed on an area he certainly viewed as magical. https://www.wta.org/news/signpost/445

Follow the link "Hiking Legends" for some good information about the Starks and other influential old timer NW hikers and climbers.

And another article in Bill Stark's memory. https://www.seattlepi.com/local/politics/article/The-life-of-Peg-Stark-35-years-exploring-naming-7960480.php
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 4:48 pm 
We prefer and use the Stark names based on Norse mythology

Brynhild:

Doppelganger
Thread Killer

Doppelganger

Thread Killer
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 pm 
FWIW an old map I threw together using Joey's site, just a few Stark names superimposed on a current topo (not all Stark names are represented)

https://flic.kr/p/kgHFxY

Edit: looks like the version on Flickr is tiny, I can upload the full 6492x4344 .png file if anyone wants/needs it
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm 
FYI, the original size is available (click the thumbnail below, then the downward pointing arrow to the top right of the lightbox to see all available sizes).  We only display web friendly sizes (up to 1600 pixels) in the lightbox.  Also, png is probably not the best format to save these type of images.  I noticed the original size is a whopping 64 KB (even if you saved as the highest quality jpg it would only be a fraction of that size).

Click [url=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/12648658674_ab87c28222_o.png]here[/url] for original (warning 64 KB) :eek:
Click here for original (warning 64 KB) eek.gif
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 pm 
I met the Stark's when they lived in Leavenworth, received their map of the Enchantments, their Enchantments video, but most of all about an hour of great conversation with them.
MtnManic

MtnManic

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 9:57 pm 
Speaking of their video, I loaned my out and lost it.  Does anyone know if it is still available (or even if ever transferred to DVD)?

--------------
Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time.  Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Doppelganger
Thread Killer

Doppelganger

Thread Killer
PostWed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am 
Tom wrote:
FYI, the original size is available (click the thumbnail below, then the downward pointing arrow to the top right of the lightbox to see all available sizes). We only display web friendly sizes (up to 1600 pixels) in the lightbox. Also, png is probably not the best format to save these type of images. I noticed the original size is a whopping 64 KB (even if you saved as the highest quality jpg it would only be a fraction of that size)

Thanks Tom, I think I went png to prevent loss of quality from repeated edits, and for the layer support when adding the labels. The .png format also seems to support printing to scale on large paper format while .jpg seems to start losing definition or pixelling out on large scale prints but that might just be me.
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 am 
I like the Stark names as well. Ive been fortunate enough to have spent the night at every major Stark named lake there.  Naiad is my favorite.  Its private. There is a nice sandy beach, and there is a toilet. up.gif

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Bill Stark
Jump to:   
Search this topic: