reststep
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 pm 
And the polls.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 pm 
2nd wildernessed. He is a reliable trip reporter, year around.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 12:31 pm 
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot (not to be confused w/ Sir Hikes-A-Lot...okay, I'm confused confused.gif ) posted many excellent long distance day hike TRs. He's disappeared and it looks like all of his content disappeared as well. Too bad, I always enjoyed his TRs.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 12:50 pm 
That is a real bummer. He had some great trip reports.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 5:44 pm 
In re "Sir-Hikes-A-Lot" - I got curious about those deletions and went to have a look. His last post was in September last year, just around the time that the sexual harassment discussion kerfuffle was in full swing - that prompted Radka and Yana to announce their exits. I noticed that SHAL's posting tag line was " It is by standing up for the rights of girls and women that we truly measure up as men. - Desmond Tutu" One might infer that he withdrew from the community in sympathy with the other offended parties. So we're all to be punished b/c of some individual POV scraps. How unfortunate that certain people get so indiscriminate with their anger that they deprive us all of their (obviously valued) contributions. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 5:58 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
One might infer that he withdrew from the community in sympathy with the other offended parties. So we're all to be punished b/c of some individual POV scraps. How unfortunate that certain people get so indiscriminate with their anger that they deprive us all of their (obviously valued) contributions. frown.gif
It's also unfortunate that so many people these days are so easily offended.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 pm 
If he left over that it's ironic his screen name gives tribute to a rapper whose claim to fame was objectifying women. It is sad that people get so wound up in politics not to give the benefit of the doubt that moderation does not equate to taking sides on an issue.

neek

neek
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 7:03 pm 
It's one thing to be offended, another to be principled. And yet another to simply not care what people think about you. There's probably a bit of overlap among all three categories. IMO we should be careful speculating here, since reasons are usually complex, and moreover, it's a small community, and the subjects under discussion likely have friends following these conversations or themselves are following. At any rate most of them post elsewhere for those who still want to follow them. Unfortunately the Wayback Machine doesn't appear to archive nwhikers topics. IMO when you post to a public forum you must accept that what you say is on permanent public record. Also, this thread makes me nervous because I can see it going horribly wrong: "Hey, what ever happened to Bob?" "Oh...he died tragically last month, didn't you hear?" But I'm with you CJ...the world would be a better place if we could all poke fun at ourselves more.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 8:16 pm 
Tom wrote:
If he left over that it's ironic his screen name gives tribute to a rapper whose claim to fame was objectifying women. It is sad that people get so wound up in politics not to give the benefit of the doubt that moderation does not equate to taking sides on an issue.
True. I do not envy you Tom, it must get a bit dicey being the board owner-moderator when many of the members here are also your friends and/or hiking partners. However, if they are true friends they should know not to push the boundaries. I think that you and the Mods do a great job. up.gif "You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 pm 
Agree with all of the above since my last post on this thread. up.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostSat Mar 02, 2019 9:57 pm 
More pseudo-interesting poster data from the site [3/2/19]: Members with latest posts in Dec ’18: DIYSteve, boot up, opus, GeoTom, wolfie, wamtngal, Eric Latest posts in Nov ’18: HitTheTrail, the Zachster, kbatku, cartman, salish Oct ’18: wildernessed, jimmymac, dante Radka & Yana checked out 9/29/18. Magellan and BeyondLost last posted 9/26 Latest posts in summer ’18: Phil, Hulksmash, More Cowbell, spotly, Dave Workman, Blue Dome, Jim Dockery, Toonces Latest posts in spring ’18: EastKing, Quark – still posting on alternate ID (that I'm aware) Other frequent/prolific posters (2000+) that just stopped: Tigermn 12/17 Tom Sjolseth 11/17 Yet, Mtn Dog, Sabahsboy 10/17 Conrad 7/17 David1 4/17 nuclear_eggset, Touron (– the last of 3 IDs for this poster(that I'm aware)) 3/17 MCaver 2/17 Polarbear 12/16 Snowbrushy 11/16 The Angry Hiker 9/16 Dane 8/16 Dayhike Mike, Hikingqueen 6/16 mgd 9/15 GeoHiker 8/15 Go Jo 7/15 Don 6/15 Newt 4/15 Canuck 10/14 Action Betty 9/14 #19 6/14 Tazz 10/12 jenjen 7/12 Kleet 10/11 goats gone wild 3/10 Data pulled from the site member list and should be accurate unless any of these mentioned posted in the last 24 hrs.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm 
I miss GranolaGirl's trip reports.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 1:10 pm 
Where and why did everyone go? "And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain Don't carry the world upon your shoulders For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool By making his world a little colder Na na na na na na na na na na". I just don't get when the <OPINIONS> of others offends you so much that you just quit and never post here again? Grow some skin FFS's! What is this High School? Good luck offending me enough to get rid of me. clown.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm 
I think the vibe has changed. Back in the day the population here was mostly middle aged hikers who got into occasional heated arguments about politics but posted great trip reports. Now it seems mostly dominatedd by grumpy old men who used to hike. Just goes to prove the adage, “Time wounds all heels”.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:07 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Now it seems mostly dominatedd by grumpy old men who used to hike
That's nonsense. Some of us grumpy old men still hike.