Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Absent NWHikers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:26 pm 
Don't forget the grumpy middle-aged men who still hike but don't post reports out of fear of being jumped on for revealing "sekrit" places that aren't really sekrit anymore, so just come here to have obscure off-topic philosophical discussions no one's interested in.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 pm 
Damian wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Now it seems mostly dominatedd by grumpy old men who used to hike
That's nonsense. Some of us grumpy old men still hike.
+1...and I plan to hopefully hike and fish a lot more this year...that is if my Grumpy Old Bones will allow it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 7:28 pm 
IMO nwhikers has done remarkably well with facebook and other social media. Most of the forums I used to visit, which at one point were very active, dried up and died a long time ago.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm 
Yeah, it's all relative. I went to cc the other day just for grins and looks like participation has fallen off even more than here.

reststep

reststep
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I think the vibe has changed. Back in the day the population here was mostly middle aged hikers who got into occasional heated arguments about politics but posted great trip reports. Now it seems mostly dominatedd by grumpy old men who used to hike. Just goes to prove the adage, “Time wounds all heels”.
Yeah, we used to have interesting posts like this

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 pm 
I do miss Touron's appreciation of old-school music. wink.gif So why do people check out? I get it...Considered it myself a few times. * Agreed, agree.gif mass publicity of special destinations. Although, to be honest, wasn't that the original intent of sharing on NWHikers? * Injection of politics. (Thanks, moderators agree.gif ) * Judgemental posts about any and all topics. Yeah, it's the internet! * Inability to see the difference between climate and weather. (Oops, did I just inject politics?) * For real old-timers, Little Wenatchee Loop...Clockwise or Counter-clockwise... hairy.gif * Abba up.gif down.gif Still here and now for some musical advice....

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 8:29 pm 
I don't come by very often these days (for the past number of years) but I'd have to lay it at FB's feet why people quit posting - or slowed down. I was looking at the list a page or two back of users who had stopped - and a chunk of them I am friended with on FB so do see interactions with them. And FB groups/pages were a killer of forums. The Wa Hikers page for example is massive (and so bad). As for me.....my life got busier as I got older, and all I had time for was FB it seemed. Though that has lost a lot of its charm over the years.....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 8:33 pm 
Oddly enough I was reading through the original section of the thread and saw in 2007 a mention of an old friend - Wrongbridge (OlyHiker). Hard to realize he has been gone now since the late winter of 2010. 9 years just slips by.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 pm 
I'm still astounded that people gravitate to Facebook so much. As someone who doesn't visit Facebook as much and thus perhaps less susceptible to the lobster in a pot phenomenon it's such an affront to see how Facebook chooses to manipulate the content they want you to see.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 9:11 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm still astounded that people gravitate to Facebook so much. As someone who doesn't visit Facebook as much and thus perhaps less susceptible to the lobster in a pot phenomenon it's such an affront to see how Facebook chooses to manipulate the content they want you to see.
And also the sheer stupidity of people. Cough.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 03, 2019 10:18 pm 
I spend a lot of time on FB, but rarely pay attention to the FB NWhiker group. Not sure why people find that preferable to here, I guess maybe I am slow to accept new things.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 am 
I'm always astounded at the number of who folks aren't concerned about letting the FB personal data vacuum cleaner into their lives despite what's been revealed about them in the last few years. Nothing could incentivize me to go near it. Some may debate whether the Zuckerberg biz model is worse than Google & Amazon, but FB hardly seems as indispensable. I like what you've built here, Tom; a "colorful" clown.gif community and a site that holds my attention longer than WTA ever could. Only hope you can find the time soon for (cough, cough) adding the SSL certificate someone mentioned in the Support section a while back. hockeygrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm still astounded that people gravitate to Facebook so much
I fully agree. I get the social aspects of FB, and the ease at which it helps you "be seen" by many. But content seems so limited, and access to content I find challenging. I joined WHC just to see about the buzz, and find myself spending little if any time there. Granted, I'm a FB neophyte, and I'm sure I'm unaware of secret search functions or hidden pages with detailed trip reports or other worthy discussions. But the "home page" posts and associated comments don't do much for me.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 am 
Tom wrote:
I stay away from facebook for the most part too for the same reasons. I still check in to see if any real friends or family are trying to contact me. Maybe about 2 mins every other day. FB is way too political now and I couldn't care less for people to see me and what I'm doing. Gotta say I like the way you think Tom, I've noticed it over the years. You must be a good guy. I'd post more here but metal detecting took over all other hobbies. I still get out for a backpack over the summer and a few day hikes but dont even carry a camera anymore. I still watch for others needing advice and ask my own each year before I go on my overnighter. Again, thanks for your help last year Tom and keep up the good work.

none
ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 am 
This thread is timely. I've been absent for a while but was always more of a lurker. For me it's been a lot of "life" - kids, starting a business, building a home (actually recycling a home from Victoria BC). A decent chunk of my internet time has been lost FB. I'm in the process of removing myself and my data from that black hole. I have been spending more time catching up on here as of late. I miss the pure discussion this forum provides. Expect see more of me.