Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Public Meetings - Mtn Loop Highway Feasibility Study
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 04, 2019 10:33 am 
Wednesday March 6 - Granite Falls Middle School Thursday March 7 - Darrington Community Center Mountain Loop Highway Feasibility Study - USDOT Office of Federal Lands Highway Is it time to pave the entire Mountain Loop Highway? - article in the Herald

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 9:03 am 
I would be saddened to see the Mountain loop paved and I'm sure lots of other folks would agree. I believe it would be the end of the informal camps along the route. It would certainly take away the sense of adventure that one has driving the unpaved portions of the route. I think the traffic would substantially increase and the costs and pressures to keep the route open would be expensive for the agencies concerned. One mans opinions....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 9:28 am 
I agree that traffic would increase but I think one argument is that it's easier to maintain once it's paved. Much of the opposition would rather see the road closed completely. I don't think the camps will go away - they haven't on the Verlot to Barlow Pass side.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 am 
What a boondoggle this would be. It isn't graded for high speed driving, which is what will happen if it is paved, and it will cost so much money. Unbelievable they are even considering wasting money on this project.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am 
JVesquire wrote:
What a boondoggle this would be. It isn't graded for high speed driving, which is what will happen if it is paved, and it will cost so much money. Unbelievable they are even considering wasting money on this project.
I completely agree. Plus I own property along the MLH, and traffic is already insane on a nice summer day.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am 
I think the paving of the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie road has been an improvement in many ways. I particularly appreciate the improved access for the King County sheriff and patrols that have greatly curtailed that lawlessness that was rampant in the past with Bullet riddled junk cars and appliances decorating many turn outs.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 11:59 am 
I can't believe anybody would be against this, we all saw the aftermath of the Oso disaster.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 pm 
Pro: I think the comparison the Middle Fork Snoqualmie is a good assessment. Con: Once you pave something, you are then obligated to keep up that type of quality for the remainder of the road. Pro: If the road goes to paving, then we don't have to worry about losing another road to "unmaintained status" because too many people want that road. Con: If it goes to paving it might take a couple of years for "no access" in some areas.

Art is an adventure.
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:03 pm 
This topic just brought back a memory. We had driven to Monte Cristo and kept going up the deteriorating road past the concentrator and all the way to just below Mystery Mines and Glacier Falls where there was room for one car to park. It was pouring down rain and we had been sitting in the car for half an hour debating whether to start up our planned climb of Wilman Peak when a large, new 4-door sedan pulled up behind us and the driver got out and asked us if we were on the road to Darrington.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I can't believe anybody would be against this, we all saw the aftermath of the Oso disaster.
I'm not making the connection here...? What does paving the MLH have to do with Oso?

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:17 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I'm not making the connection here...? What does paving the MLH have to do with Oso?
here:
The Herald wrote:
it could be an alternative route in case of an emergency. That issue generated a lot of discussion after the 2014 Oso mudslide, when the closure of Highway 530 forced many drivers to and from Darrington to detour through Skagit County.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 pm 
It's hard enough to maintain the road as it is, what with landslides, floods, etc....remember how long it took them to repair that washed out bridge what in '07? Plus it cost a lot of money. I just think that the landscape makes it unfeasible to try to build and maintain a paved road through there. Somewhat like building a railroad through Robe Canyon, although obviously not that bad.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 12:42 pm 
I assume if they pave the MLH it would still be closed in the winter (normally closed December to May). Oso landslide was in March, and I assume most landslides occur in the wet months. So paving the MLH would not necessarily provide alternate routes to Darrington during the winter (landslide) season.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:34 pm 
Paving negates the need for a 4WD, high-clearance vehicle. No angst for those who travel on all fours--but I prefer my Yaris in the absence of potholes, craters, and trenches.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 am 
Schroder wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
here:
The Herald wrote:
it could be an alternative route in case of an emergency. That issue generated a lot of discussion after the 2014 Oso mudslide, when the closure of Highway 530 forced many drivers to and from Darrington to detour through Skagit County.
Ah, okay. Thanks.