Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Baby It's Cold Outside"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:07 am 
Here in the O we got 3.5 inches of new--that's my north side patio meansurement. It is the consistency of westside snow. The GREAT news is that it is 41 degrees out already and I am not wearing longjohns! Maybe shorts later on if the sun stays out? We need this warmth to get cheery again.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 am 
This is ridiculous. On top of my existing, consolidated pack at 16", I got 3" tuesday night, 4" yesterday, 2" more last night, it's still snowing and yahoo app shows snow every day for a week. :/

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
gb

gb
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It is snowing this morning. I have been bundling up and using my bike to do town stuff. The local roads were down to only a couple of icy spots. This snowfall will not last as I see temps up to 40 here soon! breakdance.gif Why keep posting inaccurate long term forecasts? April is farther away than the last WRONG guess.
I suppose you have the right to blindly stumble along. The "guess" I just posted is the Climate Prediction Center Outlook. It has been bang on for the Southern border all winter. I'll go with those guys. The use what are called GCM's about a couple of dozen of them plus climatology, ocean temperatures and currents, etc. But please do drone on.

gb

gb
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:37 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
This is ridiculous. On top of my existing, consolidated pack at 16", I got 3" tuesday night, 4" yesterday, 2" more last night, it's still snowing and yahoo app shows snow every day for a week. :/
I believe you are in the Columbia Gorge, is that right? Whereabouts?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 5:56 pm 
I'm about 2 miles NW of lovely downtown Lyle, roughly 640' elevation.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
gb

gb
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:01 pm 
That has to be about the most snow you've ever had there except for some freak January snowstorm? I noticed Eastern Washington is also still mostly snow covered, whereas on a normal year I might find flowers at Cowiche Mountain late March, I'd bet there is no way that would happen this year.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:10 pm 
gb wrote:
I suppose you have the right to blindly stumble along. The "guess" I just posted is the Climate Prediction Center Outlook. It has been bang on for the Southern border all winter. I'll go with those guys. The use what are called GCM's about a couple of dozen of them plus climatology, ocean temperatures and currents, etc. But please do drone on.
Well, I guess we all ought to move to the Southern Border, whichever one it is. State? Mexico? Canada's South border? It is March, I predict the days will get longer and temps will warm up a bit. How's that? lol.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 pm 
Quote:
Well, I guess we all ought to move to the Southern Border, whichever one it is. State? Mexico? Canada's South border? It is March, I predict the days will get longer and temps will warm up a bit. How's that? lol.gif
This was forecast this entire winter:
Quote:
West The ongoing recovery from long-term drought continued over much of the west, though dry conditions lingered over northern- and southern-most portions of the region. In the Four Corners States, locally heavy precipitation (1-4 inches, locally more) in northern portions of the region afforded relief from Moderate to Extreme Drought (D1-D3) from the central Rockies into northern New Mexico. Water-year precipitation has totaled an impressive 110 to 225 percent of normal over most of the Four Corners, with below-normal precipitation confined to southwestern and northwestern New Mexico. Spring runoff prospects are likewise favorable, with mountain snow water equivalents (SWE) currently at or above the 70th percentile, save for subpar SWE in the Gila Mountains. The Four Corner’s drought is mostly apparent in the longer-term, with 24-month precipitation averaging 55 to 75 percent of normal in the region’s core drought areas. Farther north, heavy rain and mountain snow continued to slam locations from the northern California Coast into the northcentral Rockies. Precipitation over the past 7 days totaled an impressive 2 to 10 inches (locally more) from San Francisco north into the southern Cascades and east to the Sierra Nevada. Outside of a few locales in the southern San Joaquin Valley and in the far north, almost all of California is now reporting precipitation surpluses for the water year. To further illustrate, California’s disappearing Moderate Drought (D1) was limited to small portions in the far north, while Abnormal Dryness (D0) was confined to relatively small sections in northern and southern portions of the state. The wet weather in the north has also afforded additional drought relief in southwestern Oregon, with water-year deficits nearly eradicated from Medford into the southwestern Harney Basin. Despite the overall wet weather pattern, the water year has featured sub-par precipitation (70-80 percent of normal) in the central and northern Cascade Range. Snowpacks are in good to excellent shape in the Sierra Nevada (80th-98th percentile), southern Cascades (60th-92nd percentile), and from the Great Basin into the northcentral Rockies (55th-100th percentile). Conversely, subpar snowpacks remained a concern in the northern Rockies (locally below the 20th percentile) and northern Cascades (10th-30th percentile).

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 am 
gb wrote:
That has to be about the most snow you've ever had there except for some freak January snowstorm? I noticed Eastern Washington is also still mostly snow covered, whereas on a normal year I might find flowers at Cowiche Mountain late March, I'd bet there is no way that would happen this year.
We usually get a foot or two at least once per winter, with every 2-3 years a major snowfall and every 7-10 something ridiculous. I've never seen snowpack lasting all winter, but the winter of 17/18 (one of the ridiculous years) it started snowing in early December and my yard wasn't snow free until late February. Peak depth that winter, for me, was 31" right around new years. This current stupidity is by far the latest serious snow I've seen.

gb

gb
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 7:23 am 
The final tally is pretty remarkable. I recall years ago the PI used to publish about monthly temperatures compared to average and a Recreation Report that gave the snowline as spring progressed into summer. Especially in the 70's there were months that were 3-4 degrees below normal, but this was so exceptional in duration and significance. Seattle was 6.7 degrees below normal in February and quite cold the first 10-12 days of March, too.
Quote:
.CLIMATE...The high of 54 degrees on Thursday in Seattle was 1 degree above normal. The last time Seattle had a high temperature above normal was February 1st ( a streak of 40 days in a row without a high above normal ). The warmest day so far this year in Seattle is 61 degrees on January 11th. The last time Seattle had a high of at least 65 degrees was October 18th ( 67 degrees ). The last time Seattle had more than 2 days in a row with highs 60 degrees plus was also back in October, October 10th through the 19th. Felton
There are likely to be a few record highs early next week in the NW region. I see both Whistler and Revelstoke project a daily record or two and Lake Louise is supposed to be 48-49, and into Alberta on the 20th Banff forecasts 57, and Edmonton a remarkable 63, breaking, if that is accurate, it's record by 12 degrees. I'd think Washington also will see a record high or two. From rags to riches.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 pm 
Today is officially the first day of Spring here in the mountains, when we came home from town, it was 74 degrees in the house and haven't needed a fire in the woodstove yet.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 am 
If you haven't been workin out TOUGH at the gym its too late!!! $eason's upon us!!!!